Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 acp recipe sanity check

JasonS

Different bullets are different lengths, so there isn't likely to be a magic OAL that works well with all combinations. I've loaded PD and Zero 230gr FMJ to mostly the 1.230-1.250" range and not had any accuracy issues. I think you're more likely to have accuracy issues from bad crimp than the "wrong" OAL.

Guess I'll COL at about 1.240 +/-, but there is a definite difference in long-range rifle w/ COL.

...& I think your right about "...bad crimp...".

Edited by stinsonbeach

Thanks guys I think I'll just have to break down and buy a chrony to test loads with.

So anyone have experience with either Shooting Chrony F-1 OR the Competition electronics pro chrono?

Shooting F-1 Chrony - if the sun's out you have to use the shades, otherwise stick in the "sticks" so you have reference & shoot away.

Thanks guys I think I'll just have to break down and buy a chrony to test loads with.

So anyone have experience with either Shooting Chrony F-1 OR the Competition electronics pro chrono?

FWIW, the "official" chronos at most big matches are the CED M2. There's a lot to be said for using the same equipment they'll be using when it counts. They also have the advantage of keeping the expensive part away from where you're shooting. It's a lot cheaper to replace a sensor than to replace a who chrono!

A lot of people use the Shooting Chrony (but I'd say if you go that route, do yourself a favor and get at least the Beta Master for the remote display and to have it do all the math for you). A lot of people also say bad things about the Shooting Chronies. They can be kind of tempermental (the units, not the people) and if lighting and setup aren't just right, they may not register all your shots.

FWIW, the "official" chronos at most big matches are the CED M2. There's a lot to be said for using the same equipment they'll be using when it counts. They also have the advantage of keeping the expensive part away from where you're shooting. It's a lot cheaper to replace a sensor than to replace a who chrono!

Mine's been hit twice - of course, not the sensors - & still works just fine...in fact it's got character!

I've got it and have no complaints. It's the only one I've ever had, so I can't say if it's the best one. I do have the interior light kit and it works great. The PC interface is good too. Nice being able to plug into the laptop and grab all the data on a hot firing line.

Getting ready to due a caliber swap in the 650 and load some 45 acp up for the first time. Anyway, I've been researching through the forum for some recipes using MG 230 gr CMJ's and from that research I think I've found what look like some good/popular 45 acp recipes. (Good because I have those powders and primers already.)

4.0 gr (plain) Clays to 1.25 OAL with WLP

4.3 gr Titegroup to 1.25 OAL with WLP

I'm hoping someone can sanity check these two recipes before I load them up. Also there seems to be some debate, as to which powder burns cleaner, but heck I'll try them both and see for myself.

I've also got some N320 and Universal sitting around, but those seem less popular (or atleast less used) for .45. However I would be interested if anyone has an opinion/recipe for N320 for .45 since I have a bunch that I use for 9mm.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

The titegroup load looks good to me :)

I chrono'd 4.3gr/TiteGroup ub=nder a 230gr CMJ and the PF was 152.

4.6gr/TiteGroup gave a PF of 166.

The max is 4.8gr.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks "Steve RA" - I'll use that!

Now here's an aside: I was having COL problems. A friend of mine - who, mind you, is probably the best shooter in Florida & probably the entire south & beyond - & I were discussing my problems & couldn't figure it out. He casually asks - because it was a .45 & not usually an issue - if I were shooting 2xStack. "Yes" sez I, "I'm shooting my Para P-14 w/ Dawson b/p." He sez "...well there's your problem." Huh? He told me if your shooting 2xStack you need to load short. Never heard of that. Have you? Now I know you load short for HP sometimes, but 2xStack??? Well anyway(z) I've dropped COL from 1.265 to <1.2500 (230 hardball)& haven't had a single jam! ...& no accuracy issues!

Just thought that may be of interest to someone. I still don't know why, but he solved my problem.

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach