Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Nationals

bkeeler

hello all,

match was fun.

met jake (stallion) there.

bill and sue nesbit as well.

yes some of the stages were round count change ups.

had to visualize. it was easy to get off track.

my match was good until after lunch (shot it all thursday). ate a very large meal and felt sluggish after that. got a procedural, forgot a shot, etc, etc, etc.

this was my second nationals, so making good progress.

i was tenth overall at 188 seconds and change.

fifth esp/ma.

i watched rob leatham shoot several stages.

just doing the time saving things he did i could have saved about two seconds per stage on several stages. he is the man. more knowledge for future events that is for sure.

his win was especially incredible considering he got two procedurals for the match.

one was a bogus cover call and another was stopping to shoot a target on a mover stage, the same thing i got one for (and i think most everyone in the match!).

although one guy there (kid) was 15 years old and was eighth overall i think, or ninth.

his time was something like 183 seconds.

outstanding shooter.

my girlfriend sara dunivin was high lady again.

time of 213.

very proud of her.

overall a very fun match.

i wonder where it is going to be next year?

hope closer the the west coast...or at least mid-west.

the food out there blows. ;-)

good seeing you all there and see you next time,

will s.

Trust me, Will and Sara can both shoot......Had a great time, and even met Larrys1911. He was my stage's CSO, actually, although he may want to change his forum name after his 1911 suffered numerous malfs throughout the match :)  The Tulsa squad that I normally shoot with took 4 firsts and a second, and yours truly even brought home some wood.    

An example of Rob's time savers was stage 12.  You started with the notepad in hand.  Start signal, drop it, draw and engage T1 with 6 rounds while retreating to the rear of the van.  From the other side, 2 on T2, then go to prone for T3-5.  We decided 'a slide lock reload is always faster than a tac load', and did a slide lock from prone.  Will was a 12 and I was a 16 here.  Rob Leatham however, did a tac load.  He started it as soon as he reached the rear of the van, and had it done by the time he crossed over to the other side.  So it ended up being much faster.  His time for the stage was 10 and change.

He is super quick.  I love to watch people at that level shoot, I always learn something about how to tackle a stage.

sure bill,

on the stage were everyone had to go prone.

well, let me back up. first you had to shoot six on a target while backing away. being sure not to shoot the no-shoot. then once behind the vehicle, you had to move to the other side (rear) of the vehicle and shoot two on a target near the front of the vehicle (could not go kneeling here due to backstop shortage), then go right to prone to your right and shoot three more targets with two each from under a barricade.

i figured i would go to slide lock (while prone). i do have some speedy slide lock reloads and i shot the stage clean in 12 seconds and change.

couple days later i watched leatham. he shot six on the first target, then did a quick tac load from rear of vehicle and engaged everything else. he shot it clean in ten seconds and change.

we were one of the first groups to shoot the match, so we did not have the luxury of seeing some talent tackle these stages.

it was definitely faster doing it that way, then the way i handled it.

on another stage, the movers.

you had to shoot a target which was static, then back away. on either side of the prop was the threat target. it was switched around from shooter too shooter.

so you did not know which side to go to.

most folks (including myself) hobbled and weaved left and right until they caught sight of the proper target around the corner of the prop building, then shot it and that activated the mover. all this had to be done while moving to the rear.

leatham just shoots the static target then runs quickly to the rear to his strong side first. the target just happened to be there. he shot it, but unfortunately he stopped moving and received the procedural.

but the method was very sound. if it was not on his strong side he had only to move very quickly to the other side and blast it, then hit the mover.

those are just a couple of examples of how he beat everyone making it look very easy.

will s.

Had a great time at the Nationals!  I shot on Thursday and avoided the rain/mud.  I was fortunate enough to have the priviledge of following TGO, Bill Wilson, and Joyce Fowler all day Friday.  It was absolutely inspiring to be able to watch them shoot.

The highlight may have been the cookies......  ;)  TGO didn't share them though.

Smoney, I'm beginning to get the point...I've been reading the dry-fire excercise posts!

One of the outstanding things that Robbie did was to have fun and be a good sport.  I believe that the Top Guns set the tone for this sport.  When people see Robbie, or Scott Warren or Ernie Langdon  having fun and being gentlemen and being successful without gaming or being jerks, it helps this sport tremendously.  My hat's off to them.

down0 i agree that the atmosphere of being in the super squad is great, i have been there, however EVERYBODY as you say it "games" and i don't think thats a bad thing, in the described scenario above Letham "gamed" that and it saved him a lot of points. Is it gaming to look for the best solution out of the preverbial spot between a rock and a hard place... i don't think so.

i think the top shooters in this sport and uspsa are very gracious, and outclass many of the top players in other sports by their interaction with other people on and off the range, the best people i have ever met were wearing a gun.

I know what you mean.  I game every stage I shoot,  in that I make a plan of attack.  In my post I meant "cheat", which is a whole different animal.  

Nearly every one of the 300+ shooters I saw were credits to their sport.