Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The sad story of Otto's stolen Glock

redmanfixit

Well, it's been several months since the Rocky Mountain Classic whatever-the-heck-number-it-was-in Roman Numerals. The dust has settled, all the prizes are out and random awards, awarded. After much quiet inquiry, questioning and seeking out any we know that might have had information, we've figured out that Otto's 1st Gen G24C competition gun is stolen. I must tell you I hate to say that. My general experience in this sport and by extension, this community is, the people are great. The last thing I usually worry about at a match is someone stealing something. Otto (nope, no last name, just Otto) is one of the match directors for the Glock match that happens in Weld County at Weld County Fish & Wildlife range north and east of Greeley Colorado. We have been told that it's one of the best run Glock matches in the USA. One reason that is so is Otto. He kinda reminds me of Ichabod Crane, at least as far as he's been portrayed in my time on the planet. Thin, tall and just a little disheveled. Also, if you've ever been on the crew of volunteers that help stage the match, busier than a maggot in hot grease, if I can borrow a cowboy aphorism. Otto is one of the pivot points for the match. Spends his own money for materials and supplies that I'm pretty sure he never recovers. For sure, if you've ever met him, one thing you can say about him is, Otto is a bit odd. He's active in the USPSA community in area 2 here in Colorado and is the designer of quite a few "memorable" stages. Realize of course by "memorable" I refer to the premise that people are not having fun if they aren't complaining. Otto's stages are at least challenging if not a little twisted.....I LIKE em'. What can I say, look at my Avatar!

Otto does not use computers, does not have an internet connection and agonized for months recently about getting a cell phone. As soon as he got the cell, he dumped his ground line. I have seen him routinely shoot his G26 sub compact at poppers at 75 yards and hit every shot.

I would like it VERY much if some way, Otto's gun came back. So I requested permission to post vital statistics here in hopes that....well you know. (Thanks Brian & Mods!!) I know there are quite a number of LE folks in our sport and on this forum so.....no, we haven't reported it to the local PD yet. In my opinion, Otto is just a sweetheart and I think that he STILL cannot bring himself to accept that someone stole his gun. I think I have him talked into getting on the phone with the Sheriff and getting the report in. In the mean time, if any that read this and were at the match have info, please let me know!

As mentioned above Otto's gun is a 1st Gen G24C

BNZ204US (gun) For the non-ported barrel-SN# L7946

It had a brass magwell, Seattle slug, 4 mags with genuine Glock +2 base pads and it was in a small Glock range bag. The gun came with a ported barrel and obviously the slide is ported as well. There was also a spare non-ported barrel with it.

I may edit this post later to add the maker of the spare barrel when I get the info from Otto.

The vulnrability for the theft very likely came from Otto's concern for getting the numbers up for the match so we could have a better selection of prizes. Any of you out there who may have helped staff the match certainly had a better chance at drawing a pistol or prize because of Otto's efforts. Toward the end of the match, you'd see him tearing around on that damn golf cart urging people to sign up for another division and shoot one more go. He'd even loan you a gun. So....there. I hope it comes back. I doubt that whoever did the deed has enough class to hang out here. If you do tho....I hope all your children are born naked and toothless!

Edited by redmanfixit

You may be lucky enough to have the same problem the Sporting Clays and Skeet national have had in the past.

That problem is non shooters watching the action and guns that are not watched over.

some guns disappear from the event.

Some shooters cars got followed from the event and broken into when they stopped at a restaurant or hotel.

So If you are lucky it was a non participant in the event

What they would do at the skeet match was place stickers on bumpers in the parking lot. Then just hit the resteraunts, hotels etc later and have at it. There are alot of trunks at those matches with 10K+ in the back and that is just a solo shooter. When I was in college, we shot the ACUI nationals down there. One year alone, one teams school provided vehicle had the locks torn up to get into the vehicle. Another school had a trailer. They chose to rip the hinges off a door of the trailer instead of cutting the lock. Luckily nothing was taken in either of them.

Hope he gets his gun back.

Best thing to do is report it. It could turn up tomorrow or 10 years. The National Tracing Center's database will keep it active such that whenever the serial gets run, it'll show up stolen. I've had a lot of gun cases in which the firearm's been floating around 10 or even 20 years. Kind of nice to give a gun back to a guy who thought it was simply "gone".

UPDATE!! Well good news. Just got word from Otto that he has a case # from Weld!! It's in the system!! I'm no end of pleased. Now perhaps if I close my eyes real tite, cross my fingers and click my heels together 3 times and say " there's no place like home, there's no place like home...."

Shot skeet with a guy who was actually a police officer who had his house broken into and stuff stolen back in the 70s including a nice model 12 winchster. Guy who broke in was caught. When he talked to him and asked him about the gun, he said everyting he took was in the trunk of the car when he got busted. Never turned up till roughly 2005 sill in anazing shape, not cut down or torn up or anything. He got it back like 30+years later