Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ and hand position pics

G34 CORDY

people comment, but it works lol. i twist my hands in opposite directions so the center of pressure is around the safeties and above the trigger guard, instead of holding the grip. my strong hand fingers pull on the grip and push under the beaver tail, and my weak hand pulls on the trigger guard and pushes the area around the left hand safety. weird, but for me it takes advantage of the slide-in-frame design and the gun doesn't move under recoil. i also turtle my head down to bring the bore center line to where my shoulders are. works for me, not necessarily for others. otherwise, i see a lot of the thumbs-forward grip that 99% of shooters use. idk. :shrug:

Edited by burningsquirrels

grip technique is very subjective. usually i recommend the thumbs forward grip as outlined on many places. as a shooter progresses, it's up to the individual to develop their shooting style.

i bought a 40b that was my first gun a week before i tried uspsa. for a couple years i shot it thumbs forward. when i got my sp-01 last year, i shot it thumbs forward a few matches and sometime during the first few weeks i was like, "stop moving!" lol. so i gripped it higher and higher until i got where it is now. sure i have a hell of a time shooting a single stack or any other gun for that matter, but hey it's racin'. do what works and stick with it. :cheers:

thumb on slide thing... some people warn against it because of slide rub or the pressure may cause some to push the gun to one side. if it works, great. if it pushes, do something else lol. i see some people curl it, which for me feels like my weak hand isn't gripping the gun as hard as it can. some others just point it at the target but float it in mid air. those say it helps then transition good because they use the thumb to help index onto a target. lots of ways about it.

The video is how I also grip the gun, Iam looking for a grip that u can use also with a 2011 type gun. I plan on moving to limited when I can afford it but I see on those type guns there is little room on the frame for your thumb. I want to start practicing the 2011 grip on my CZ so the transition will be as smooth as possible. I watched videos of Adam Tyc and I believe he has a thumb off frame grip but it's hard to tell in the videos. He has excellent recoil control but that is also years of experience.

thats the grip I use. It played hell with my 1911 in IDPA because the slide wouldn't lock back. I suppose that in USPSA that would be good, but not in IDPA. I haven't shot a 2011 but am going to be buying another gun for limited USPSA and it is high on my list followed by the the CZ or EAA. I know if my hands were just a little bit bigger, the slide release lever wouldn't be an issue but I'm stuck with the size hands I have.

I need to get to the range and practice different holds. I just want to get my mechanics down so when I pick up a 2011 Iam not stopping the slide with thumb lol. Iam also going to shoot limited minor until I can afford a 2011 so I can get use to pulling mags from the front instead of my hip. I step my belt up limited style and found myself reaching for mags on my hip because I have been shooting production so long. I also need to get use to shooting more than 10 rounds. Limited minor will suck but it will get my ready for limited.

I've been going through this recently too. Been shooting Glocks and CZs and now transitioning to a 1911 for a while...

Even running a really light spring (9mm so a 9lb) I've found I can get away with my usual grip so far, I've just gotten out of the habit of applying much if any pressure, thumb just kind of sits there with maybe soft pressure... So far, so good.

That said, we'll see what I get with a little grime and match pressure introduced into the mix...

a4a9a6b2.jpg

Edited by ck1