Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Practice

JMIS

Eight targets from about 15yds with modified choke. I feel like I take my cheek off the stock while moving from target 2 target.

Any thoughts?

My link

It doesn't look like you're lifting your head. At that distance a more open choke would be prefered. My bad habit with shotguns is shooting like a rifle, keep your eyes on the birds, not the bead.

Eight targets from about 15yds with modified choke. I feel like I take my cheek off the stock while moving from target 2 target.

Any thoughts?

My link

It doesn't look like you're lifting your head. At that distance a more open choke would be prefered. My bad habit with shotguns is shooting like a rifle, keep your eyes on the birds, not the bead.

Thank you :cheers: I have a cylinder choke on order for the short stuff. I think I spot shoot a shotgun, I either block the target out or try to hold under it.

A couple of things

I would have shot the group straight across transitioning front to back rather than in two passes.

Lean into your gun more, it will help with recoil and you can keep the gun down and ready to shoot.

It looks like your taking fine sight pictures, like shooting a rifle. You can get away with less percision with a shotgun shooting clays at that distance.

Find one choke and use it, don't switch back and forth. IC or Light MOD work well. You won't get stages with all the targets at the distance you want so its better to stick with one choke and deal with the pattern at different distances (i.e. good sight picture at 3 yards clays and less at distance)

A couple of things

I would have shot the group straight across transitioning front to back rather than in two passes.

Lean into your gun more, it will help with recoil and you can keep the gun down and ready to shoot.

It looks like your taking fine sight pictures, like shooting a rifle. You can get away with less percision with a shotgun shooting clays at that distance.

Find one choke and use it, don't switch back and forth. IC or Light MOD work well. You won't get stages with all the targets at the distance you want so its better to stick with one choke and deal with the pattern at different distances (i.e. good sight picture at 3 yards clays and less at distance)

Great info, thank you :cheers:

Just to add, if your gonna practice live fire, GO AS FAST AS YOU CAN! Your not loosing any points in practice, and you will figure out quickly what is too fast vs. not fast enough, you should have at least left 1-2 clays, then back down a notch, then you have found your speed. It's the way I practice, and I've been getting faster in matches knowing how fast to push myself.

Keep it up though! I can tell by the weather you have dedication :roflol:

Snow on the ground, our world shuts down in Louisiana!

Just to add, if your gonna practice live fire, GO AS FAST AS YOU CAN! Your not loosing any points in practice, and you will figure out quickly what is too fast vs. not fast enough, you should have at least left 1-2 clays, then back down a notch, then you have found your speed. It's the way I practice, and I've been getting faster in matches knowing how fast to push myself.

Keep it up though! I can tell by the weather you have dedication :roflol:

Snow on the ground, our world shuts down in Louisiana!

I can always post my first practice run of the day, I left three targets in a row standing in the middle :roflol:

Thanks for the kind words :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I would also have shot those from left to right in one pass.

Shotgun stages are won or lost on the reloads. If you want to win shotgun

stages get in from that cold snow, save some ammo, and practice reloads!

If one guy spends a half-hour a day shooting shotgun, and another guy spends

that same time practicing reloads, I will put my money on the guy practicing

reloads every time.

I would also have shot those from left to right in one pass.

Shotgun stages are won or lost on the reloads. If you want to win shotgun

stages get in from that cold snow, save some ammo, and practice reloads!

If one guy spends a half-hour a day shooting shotgun, and another guy spends

that same time practicing reloads, I will put my money on the guy practicing

reloads every time.

I agree... that's why practice indoors and outdoors.

:cheers: