Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions about 1187 Premier

deke

If you know, I'd appreciate it:

1. I have an 1187 Premier. Will it accept regular 1187 barrels?

2. Any idea how much it would cost to chop a barrel down to 22" and thread it for rem chokes? Who does this work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-deke

I know that within limits, it is possible to cut a barrel off and thread it for screw in chokes since my Nephew had to do so after he plugged his barrel with mud then fired it!  oops!  I think it would have actually been cheaper to buy a new barrel, though.  He was just in too big a hurry to wait for one to be ordered since it was the middle of Quail season and noone had one in stock.  Don't know what the actual cost was, though.

I am pretty sure the 11-87 Premier is the same as a regular 11-87.  I think the one that is different as far as barrels goes is the Lightweight version with the lighter barrels and reciever.    

One thing about chopping down a longer 11-87 barrel is the gas system.  My factory 21" 11-87 VR barrel doesn't have the gas regulating system like the longer 11-87 barrels.  It is sealed up like the barrel on my 11-87 Police.  I don't know why they did that with the shorter barrel?  Might be worth asking someone at Remington to make sure there isn't a reason for keeping the gas system on the shorter barrel.  May give an indication that it isn't a good idea to shorten the regular 11-87 barrel to that length?

I have had several cut down by a outfit in ARK

Ballistic Specialties

Batesville, Arkansas

1-800-276-2550

These fellas did a great job. I wrote a list of directions for the fellas. ie Rem chokes, put the front sight back on, length.

It costs 60.00 plus shipping both ways, very reasonable.

Once you cut the ports you may need to open the ports a little, go slow on that process...

If you have a light contour barrel you may not be able to use Remchokes, you might have to go with a slimmer version...

Good Luck KyleL

Thanks guys. I did, in fact, check with Ballistic Specialties. I recognize them more readily by "Angle Port". Anyhow, nice bunch of guys, ready to share info. I appreciate the replies from everyone.

-deke

• 2 months later...

Word O' Warning:  12 gauge Premiers have Light Contour barrels and matching inletting on the fore-end.  You may need a hammer and a shoe-horn to put this fore-end on a standard contour barrel, if you don't split it in the process.