Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac rail milled into a 2011 frame?

TannerB

I think it's doable but is it legal?

Looking at a STI that has a Tac rail built in, their stamp of manufactuer is strategically placed around the cuts.

If you attempt at cutting a Tac rail into your frame, you will be removing the manufacturer marks.

I'm not 100% certain but I thought there was some legal jargon concerning removal of manufacturer markings/serial number??

In some states, changes, alterations, removal or obliteration of the manufacturer's name, model, serial number or identifying marks is not legal.

Before you go and do it, check your state laws. I didn't find anything in the ATF book I have but I didn't look too hard.

I took a look at a STI tac model today and compared it with my wide dust cover and there is not enough material to mill a rail into the frame.

STI contoured the frame of the standard/wide/short/long dust cover frames just enough where you can't mill a rail.

You could have a smith weld material onto your frame, but you end up with that possible legal issue mentioned earlier.

The profile cut is similar to what can be done with a Thread Mill Cutter-ENCO part#619-1390. Also very similar to a Double Angle Cutter seen on the same page listing..A Woodruff Keyseat Cutter does a similar machining cut but the sides are at a right angle..Pitch angle would have to be determined before ordering the cutter..JoeA.