Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Older Red dots. Anybody still use Tasco PDP III

flack jacket

Wondering if anybody out there still using a Tube Scope Red Dot such as Tasco Pro Point III ?

I understand Aimpoint Micro is a tube, but much smaller. C-more is the "standard" due to no tube, heads up style lens.

I have a Early 90's vintage Open pistol with a Tasco. I'm starting my 2nd season with this dot and so far so good and just as reliable as can be.

I'm holding off spending on this pistol till I get a new 2011 for the c-more set up.

My question is, do you find any restrictions for the tube style scope?

Restrictions? Not for me. I'm using a PDP CMPIII on my rimfire and open guns. I had the C-More mounted, but I found I could index with the tube type sights faster. I also heard that the Tascos were prone to breakage, so when I saw them stop making them, I bought a few spares. They're still sitting on the shelf along side my C-More.

the main problem is in the Rheostat's and the tinny wires to it. I could take some photos of the parts. and I have some in various stages of cannibalizing / repair.

The battery compartment /entire rheostat cap is held in place by a very thin metal ring 'paper thin'

the recoil bend and breaks the ring and the until loused contact. having the battery on top seams to be the most prone to breaking.

If you remember the OMNI built by HAKKO it has very nice large glass lens = bigger than a C-More with four dot size or reticles to pick from, and a screw on lens protector same as for a Camera lens.

and an integral mount. But the Rheostats or the wires to the dot module or the mirror would break louse.

I had to "fix my scope many times ' and would just start out with gluing the wires down inside the thing.

The C-More fixed all that mess with cast in resin wiring.

If you guys like tonight I could set out some scopes in various stages of disassembly and photo them

Its not If it will break its a mater of When it Will break. And it always happened to me at or preparing for a big event.

Cost me bad a few years back when I had trained hard for Steel Challenge with my Revolver optic trashing drurring the match . Now a C-More is on even my revolver

C-Mores & Aim Points rarley break ,= last 30 times longer

Hakko stopped making the scopes, as China was flooding the market with cheaper copies

Edited by AlamoShooter

Wondering if anybody out there still using a Tube Scope Red Dot such as Tasco Pro Point III ?

I understand Aimpoint Micro is a tube, but much smaller. C-more is the "standard" due to no tube, heads up style lens.

Hmmm. The lack of a tube and rear lens on the cmore is one of the main reasons I still use Aimpoints. Started with a Cmore and then transitioned to a tube and have never felt disadvantaged by it. As I see it the only disadvantage to using a tube scope is the "cool" factor that some feel with the Cmore. I Started using PDP3s and after going through 5 of them in 18 months changed to Aimpoints. In four years I have only had one Aimpoint XD fail and they fixed it within 2 weeks for $30. Pretty good service considering the scope was 20 years old.

Thanks for the replies!

At this point, don't fix if it ain't broke. If it hasn't failed yet, don't replace until need to.

This scope was old new stock at the time I put it on my P9 last year. In fact some of the older users may remember that this is the PDPIII BD with the reinforced tubes. The electronics are still solid till today.. Then again Major in 1993 was 175 PF with 9x21 so the pressures where higher..

I agree with the cool factor :blush: One of youngsters at the range noticed my pistol and asked why such a huge scope? I proceeded with the reasons why... state of the art at the time... yadda yadda yadda..

Edited by flack jacket

I started using the PDP3 right after them came on the market shooting open 45.

I put a Tasco PDP3 on a new 9x21 open gun back in 1995. Rode that puppy for nearly 8 years. Somewhere between 1995 and 2004 the PDP3 quality went way downhill.

The first replacement lasted about 6 months. The second replacement went out in less than 3 months. At that point I switched to a C-More. Unlike Jamie, I didn't bother saving the parts.

So as long as your Tasco PDP3 is still working, enjoy it. Then when it does go down, its time to move up to something a lot more reliable.

Bill