Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about Remington Ammo Reliability

JDucros

Remington makes a great product and I've never had any reason to dislike their rifles or ammunition however I find myself again questioning Remington's quality/reliability. I'd like to think that this is just a fluke and that I've maybe just had bad luck with them lately. I took my Marlin's(30-30 and 35Rem) to the range the other day to try out some new ammo I got. I'm trying to improve my 100 yard accuracy without optics(primarily just to see how good I can get without a scope) and thought perhaps I would see how much of a difference ammo makes at that distance. I wanted to compare the new ammo I got the the two other rounds I had been using(Remington Core-Lock 150gr and Federal 150gr.) I also had some of the cheap Academy brand ammo for kicks. Everything went boom except for some of the Remington rounds where I had 5 duds in 30-30 and 6 duds in 35rem. The gun fired and clearly left a sizable dent in the primer. The bullets just didn't want to wake up. I remember my father saying something to me years ago about remington's 30-30ammo being unreliable but you would think it wouldn't be this bad. I really like Remington and would like to think that it's just a fluke but that now makes 3 calibers(30-30, 35rem, and .38special) where I've had trouble with them.

Has anyone had any trouble with Remington ammo lately? Thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

-James :cheers:

Never shot any of the ammo, but did get a bad rifle, after 8 months of being on hold for an hour each call they finally agreed I was right and sent me a new rifle. Left a bad taste in my mouth. My brother got another bad apple. One of their highend 700 tac rifles in 300 winmag, we couldn't get a group smaller than 4 inches at 100, and boy did we try. All weights of and bullet profiles, and brands of, never got any accuracy out of that gun. I am done with remington now.

I personally have never had an issue with Remington, or any other major brand factory ammunition (except for Federal 22 LR ammo). I have had firing pin strike issues with lever action rifles, usually caused by firing pin interlocks and/or 2 piece firing pins. These issues showed only light to moderate firing pin strikes, so this may not be what you're experiencing. Did the ammunition in question fire when you tried it a second try?

Never shot any of the ammo, but did get a bad rifle, after 8 months of being on hold for an hour each call they finally agreed I was right and sent me a new rifle. Left a bad taste in my mouth. My brother got another bad apple. One of their highend 700 tac rifles in 300 winmag, we couldn't get a group smaller than 4 inches at 100, and boy did we try. All weights of and bullet profiles, and brands of, never got any accuracy out of that gun. I am done with remington now.

Had the same issue some years back. Took 5 months to get a new barrel. Chamber was unfinished on mine.

I have noticed on .38 special that the spent case does not resize down quite as small as my other brands and the .38 super bullets I'm trying to use up just fall down into the case. They are recent purchase and shot perfectly so no complaint. Sadly, I don't think any of our American gun/ammo manufacturers will survive on the long term. It is impossible to compete against foreign companies that don't have union workers, osha, workmens comp, high property taxes, high corporate taxes, and on and on. :angry: