Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm X-Treme 147gr load

njl

I've been playing around recently with X-Treme 147gr bullets. Freak spoke highly of them. Searching for load data today, I found some posts here from a couple years ago where a few people were complaining these bullets were crap they wouldn't use if they were free. Were there some QC issues back around 2008?

I don't have any complaints with them so far. I'm shooting them in Glocks and loading them with Universal Clays or WST.

Here's my data so far:

1.155" OAL

3.14gr Universal 794.5fps

3.3gr Universal 851.0fps

3.42gr WST 870.0fps

3.48gr WST 884.4fps

1.142" OAL

3.6gr WST 896.4fps

1.118" OAL

3.3gr Universal 861.4fps

1.145" OAL

3.5gr WST 886.0fps

These were collected in a couple of sessions...I played around a bit with OAL.

The main thing I'm wondering is, how far can Universal be pushed with this load? Hodgdon's online data for Universal and 147gr says 3.0-3.3gr. I've found a few references saying that Lyman previously published 3.5gr as max for 147gr.

I'm not currently shooting anything where PF matters, but if I were, the Universal load doesn't quite have enough FPS. Between the two, I think I prefer Universal...but I'm wondering if I can safely get them up to around 885fps?

3.4gr Universal at 1.120 got me into the 88xfps range in a G17 (don't have my data with me now). That's right about 130pf, which I think should be fine. I ran some through a G26 as well. Lost some velocity of course, but I wanted to see that they'd function.

Accuracy with this load was very good...shooting hand held at 10yds, it gave me nice small groups with multiple bullets using the same holes.

I only ordered 1000 of these to try out, and I started into the second box last night, loading more of the 1.120" with 3.4gr Universal. I can see getting spoiled by these. My 124gr loads were already noticeably softer shooting than factory 115gr ammo. These 147gr loads are much softer shooting than the 124s. Shooting factory 115gr after some of these 147s would probably feel like shooting a .40. I'll have to look at what I have on hand in 124gr and decide if or how much more 147 to order.

Its funny seems as if we are both working on finding out what works best with what powder and bullet weight. I just got some X-treme 9mm's myself, and have been very pleased with how they have preformed so far. Will be ordering some more. 147's will give you softest felt recoil for sure

Edited by WildWest N AZ

Its funny seems as if we are both working on finding out what works best with what powder and bullet weight. I just got some X-treme 9mm's myself, and have been very pleased with how they have preformed so far. Will be ordering some more. 147's will give you softest felt recoil for sure

Better hurry. I ordered 2k from TJ Conevera last night. His site says there are only 3 1000's left in stock.

I shot a bunch of these (the 3.4gr Universal, X-Tremem 147, 1.120") today, and I really like them. 4.3-4.4gr Universal under a 124gr FMJ/CMJ/JHP works well too, but the 147s have way less recoil...which I know sounds silly for 9mm.

I've used Xtremes in 9, 40, and 45.... while there seems to be some negative feedback I tend to think it's the one doing the loading versus any issue with the bullets.

I've used Xtremes over 25 years ( yes I'm an old fart) and have NEVER had issue with them in any caliber. I'm only loading 9's now....115's for steel, 147 for IDPA, etc and 124's hell I don't know why I just have a bunch. When Sportsman's warehouse went out of business I bought like EVERY Xtreme bullet they had in 9mm!!

• 3 weeks later...

Load 5

Firearm: Glock 19

Date: 02/20/11

Temp: 51

Bullet: Berry's

Type: PRN

Weight: 147Grs.

Case: Winchester

Crimp: 0.375

Primer: WolfSP

COL: 1.150

Powder: Univ

Weight: 3.4

PBA: 0.70

Density: 50%

5 Drop: 17grs.

PF: 130

Shots: 3

String: 9

PF Tgt Vel: 855 – 920

LO: 887.4

HI: 893.6

AVG: 890.3

ES: 6.16

SD: 3.00

Comments: clean,soft shooting, accurate,

won't try to go higher starting to show

some signs of high pressure

(some flatening of primers but still rounded on edges).

• 5 years later...

I moved on to other bullets.  I had tumbling issues I couldn't figure out with these in my G34 and decided I liked bullets like Bayou's 147gr FP better.

This thread was 5+ years old :)