Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yea, I took a Dremel to my new Salient Benelli

Kyle O

Very nice. I also have a problem with not getting the shells far enough into the tube to engage the catch on my 870 & have been thinking about doing the exact same thing, but haven't been brave enough. How did it all work out? Did it cause any feed problems? Anything you would suggest to me should I decide to take the plunge?

I think i'm gonna get sick...

I can pray for you if you'd like... :D

Just be sure about what your doing! I did far more prep/planning than actual cutting. Make SURE you know what is stopping the follower, and never cut that part. On the benelli there is a ridge that stops the follower. I made certain to leave some at 10, 2, 7, & 5 o'clock. So the follower would always land square. Also, have some progressively fine grits of sandpaper to finish it out with. Just remember the dremeler's motto: you can always take off some more, but you can never put it back

Kyle...do you see any advantages of the Benelli over the SLP so far? The only thing I can think of is weight. I find the slp roughly equal in difficulty to load with the benelli (maybe even a little easier).

One thing few folks realize is that the FN SLP Barrel is almost a pound heavier than an SX2/3 vent rib barrel. This brings the gun much more on par with the Benelli's with regard to weight.

One question though, does Salient have an option where they charge you extra for doing your own dremel work :roflol:

Kyle...do you see any advantages of the Benelli over the SLP so far? The only thing I can think of is weight. I find the slp roughly equal in difficulty to load with the benelli (maybe even a little easier).

The vent rib tends to sight faster, and of course the weight savings makes it more nimble when transitioning targets. Slugs, and the pattern are high vs. what I'm used to with the SLP (I think the stock comb can be adjusted though), missed some slug targets at a local match due to this. As far as loading, after I "adjusted" the port to my specifications, I can load it the same speed I could the SLP, however with some practice, I am even faster now.

Overall, I just got it because I got to handle one, and really liked it, nothing was or is wrong with the SLP, both are great shotguns, but the SLP took some more work to get there, where as the salient was ready out of the box.

Hell... I wish I could get Tony to call or email me back to buy one or get put on their wait list.. 4 emails and 2 vmails with no response... Shot Show is over... where are they?

got an email yesterday from Tony, so he is probably going through his backlog, you should hear soon....

so an $1,100 gun gets another $900 in work from rob, then requires additional dremel work to get it right? what was the $900 for?

looks like the price on the website has shot up to $2299, how much is too much, and are they doing anything other than the original models of past?

So where is the new range report?

We are doing the trigger job and zeroing the barrel. As many of us know, the point of aim, point of impact on Benellis are sometimes off. Benellis factory standard is 8 inches from POA. The bending process involves shooting, bending, shooting, bending, shooting...you get the picture. Plus variation in pricing from different Benellis sources drives the price up alittle. It is funny cause for awhile when I was on the other side buying stuff i used to think the very same thing..until you buy the Benelli, buy the parts, Labor for the work...which anyone who has done a full custom modification on a Benelli Bolt/Carrier, Receiver, Lift Gate, Etc..does not happen in a couple of hours....ahhh you get the idea

We were REALLY hoping to turn out a product that would perform to the level expected from the 3gunner and I think we have done that.

However, we all have particular tastes and needs which result in modification...But we all know that is the nature of the sport...Or Else we would all be shooting stock, Glocks, Edges and businesses who deal in aftermarket parts would go the way of the DooDoo

Anyway, Just throwing my two cents in and I would be happy to answer any questions or hear recommendations

T-VS

Hey, Mr. Velocity, I think you mean Dodo. Hi, Tony! Just to thrown in a for instance, I went through one gun which I bought from someone well known on here-a Benelli "modified for 3gun", that looked like it had been assaulted and violated. DId run really well 5 shots at a time. Perfect for duck hunting. It took me a couple of years and a couple of hundred complete takedowns to completely figure out exactly the issues with Benelli's that are crucial. About a thousand dollars in various parts and machining costs. Plus buying four Benelli shotguns, 3 M1S90 and an M2. If I could have bought a Salient I would have. Be happy and don't buy one if you don't want to. There is no need to dremel deep on a Salient Benelli. If you own a gun, you can paint it pink if you want, there's just no good reason to do it.

Edited by Jadeslade

:) :)

That one is great Corey. I'm gonna borrow it. Did you create it?

On the topic of the dremel. It is much easier for a gunsmith to give you a gun with an adequately amount of metal removed in that area and let you do more removal to suit your needs rather than them send you a gun that is on the edge of reliable. The Triangle, Salient, Accurate Iron, and even the two KurtM helped me with all come with too little metal removal for my tastes. I rounded and smoothed more than all of them are comfortable sending out as a finished product but I didn't get anywhere near as close to what Kyle did here. I think its obvious that he has huge ballz or lots of money or both. ;)

:) :)

That one is great Corey. I'm gonna borrow it. Did you create it?

On the topic of the dremel. It is much easier for a gunsmith to give you a gun with an adequately amount of metal removed in that area and let you do more removal to suit your needs rather than them send you a gun that is on the edge of reliable. The Triangle, Salient, Accurate Iron, and even the two KurtM helped me with all come with too little metal removal for my tastes. I rounded and smoothed more than all of them are comfortable sending out as a finished product but I didn't get anywhere near as close to what Kyle did here. I think its obvious that he has huge ballz or lots of money or both. ;)

Nope, just found it online somewhere. It's one of many in my "Random Pictures" folder on my computer. B) I have some more like that, but they are not a language friendly, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Does your thumb get caught in the (now larger)gap between the mag tube and lifter? I see you have a welded up and extended lifter. I'm considering this modification as well. After 20 minutes of reloading practice my thumb is sore from ramming into the mag tube edge. I use the pad of my thumb not the tip.

Does your thumb get caught in the (now larger)gap between the mag tube and lifter? I see you have a welded up and extended lifter. I'm considering this modification as well. After 20 minutes of reloading practice my thumb is sore from ramming into the mag tube edge. I use the pad of my thumb not the tip.

Nope, works like a dream. I also use the pad of my thumb, I think.. :rolleyes: