Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Spartan 9mm nose dives

gordonm1

I just test fired my new Spartan 9mm. Tight and accurate but needs trigger work. It did not like my 124g Montanna Gold JHP loaded at 1.160 with mag that came with gun(Dawson)? fed factory ball good. I did not want to interfere with the trojan thread so I started one for the unramped Spartan.

I have not loaded up on mags for the gun yet so I am interested in the best mags for the Spartan. Dawson advertises the Metalform mag with some kind of feed ramp in the mag. Are they the best? They are spendy.

Once I buy mags, I will be reduced to finding a load that works with my equipment.

I edit to add I am happy with my gun. I think the trigger will work out ok too with some break-in.

gordonm1

Edited by gordonm1

Are you looking for 10rd or 9 rd mags ? The "Springfield" metalform 9rd mags (that have the indent in the front side) have run anything Ive put through them. Its only the 10rd Wilson and Tripp that make my gun nosedive.

I'm looking at buyimg the 10 round metalform mags Dawson Precision is selling.

I was looking at the same thing, emailed Metalform and they told me the only mags they make with the integrated feed ramp are the 9rd "springfield" mags (9FR-794), none of their 10rd 9mm mags have the ramps (noticed on Dawson's site it says the same text under all the Metalform 9mm mags, think it's a mistake).

9rd mags that don't nose-dive are better than 10rd mags that are iffy IMHO.

ck1:

I will heed your warning about the feedramps are only on the 9 round mags. I need to verify this and get some mags. It would be a big plus if I could load the same ammo for both 9mm guns I have.

I decided to contact Metalform as it occurrd to me that if there were indeed 10 rounders out there with the ramps, then why had I heard so little about them and why isn't everybody already using them...?

I'm kind of in the same boat as I don't reload, so there are times that I end up shooting what's available, not necessarily what my gun is exactly tuned to...

I've been web searching and I'm getting the impression most of the new metalform mags are having the the feedramp in the follower. I'll send them back if they are not as advertised.

My problem is the metalform mag that came with the gun this week did not work with my 124 jhp hand load at 1.160 OAL loaded for accuracy in my sig 226. Accuracy may not be as good loaded shorter. I'm going to need to use different bullets or lose accuracy for reliability.

This will keep me busy for awhile. It's fun tinkering for a while.

The metalform mag with my Spartan runs pretty good. Not paying attention to the design I ordered some 9rd Metalforms from CDNN. Those mags work well too but are not the same mag as the one shipped with my gun. The STI supplied mag is 9rd and has no spacer (front or rear) and the follower is completely flat with a little cresent cut on the front. The new ones have a spacer at the back of the mag and there is an upward bend to the front of the follower. All I have shot in the gun are reloads, FMJ, JHP, and lead round nose. All are loaded to around 1.135 and all have fed 100%. Close to 500 rds with no feeding or ejection issues. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I'm looking at buyimg the 10 round metalform mags Dawson Precision is selling.

I was looking at the same thing, emailed Metalform and they told me the only mags they make with the integrated feed ramp are the 9rd "springfield" mags (9FR-794), none of their 10rd 9mm mags have the ramps (noticed on Dawson's site it says the same text under all the Metalform 9mm mags, think it's a mistake).

9rd mags that don't nose-dive are better than 10rd mags that are iffy IMHO.

No mistake.

Dave

No mistake.

Dave

Dave, please explain further if you can, this is the message I got back from Metalform when asking which 10rd mag to get that has the ramps:

"The only one that has that is the 9FR-794 or the 9FRS-794, the shortie. The shortie has an 8 round capacity, the regular is 9, but both that front ramp. The regular 9-743 does not.

They are $41.36 for the 9FR and 44.15  for the shortie. Our website is in transition right now, so if you would like to order, you may call us at 800-818-3318 and either Janice or I can help you. If you have other specific questions, Dan, our Plant Manager is a good reference. His extension is 123.

E. Denise McCarthy, Sales

Metalform Company

555 John Downey Drive

New Britain, CT 06051

Office: (860) 224-2630 X127

Fax: (860)225-8302"

Pretty confusing...

The 9-rounder has a scallop along the front, akin to the scalloping we see on the sides of 1911 9mm/.38 Super/.40 S&W/10mm Auto mags, which at the top bends out into a sort of "pre-feed ramp". The 8-rounder is just a cutdown 9-rounder. The 10-rounder doesn't have the front scallop and pre-feed ramp, instead it has the traditional spacer in back and a VERY slight bend to the top front of the mag tube. I did not have good luck, feed reliability-wise, with the Metalform 10-rounders and consider you would be much better off going Wilson or Tripp if you want 10s.

a couple posts up Dawson wrote it's no error when they say the 10rd mags have a built in feed ramp. They make it sound like a new mag just released.

I tried MG 124gr hp again today with the supplied mag at 1.160" oal, 1.125", and 1.111" and had a jam in every lot of 50 rounds. I think I am looking for a new bullet now. Any suggestions? I think I would be safe with 125gr RN but hear so much about the 147 grainers, I wonder if there is a 147gr RN or other with super reliable profile?

Edit to add the jams show a round half way out of the mag and nosed into the area below the barrel. This with 9 round Metalform supplied with gun that has a tiny ramp in the top of the mag and split follower that is flat for half the width on the right side and stepped for the other half of the width on the left side.

Edited by gordonm1

The only way I could make a 9mm run in my Kimber was to use .38 Super mags and load a 160 gr bullet out to 1.220". Ran flawlessly. My friend just got a RI 9mm Tactical. The 160 gr bullets loaded to 1.160 seem to work pretty well. BTW the 160 grain bullets are lead with a pointed nose.

When I had my 9mm Spartan I did extensive load developement with LRN, LFP, FMJ and JHP bullets using Metalform "Springfield" 9 round mags, Wilson 10 round ETMs and regular 9 round Wilson mags. My results showed that I could not get that gun to run 100% with anything other than a RN profiled bullet because everything else would nosedive and get stuck on the frame or the bottom edge of the barrel. I tried OAL of many different lengths as well.

I ended up selling that gun to help pay off some bills and now have a Dan Wesson PM9 to pair up with my Springfield Loaded 9mm. Both of these guns will run anything that you put in it.

Edited by toddrod

Any suggestions? I think I would be safe with 125gr RN but hear so much about the 147 grainers, I wonder if there is a 147gr RN or other with super reliable profile?

The MG 147g bullets ran without any problems for me. I did not try any 147g LRN though.

I tried some fmj roundnose today and had zero problems so I think i can order mags and bullets now.

If you're going to go with a round nose and stay in the same weight ballpark, the MG 130gr FMJ has a nicely rounded shape to it...it's similar to the original 130gr bullets used in factory .38 Super...not pointy, just a nice big curve to it. Of all the 147gr bullets I've tried so far (MG 147CMJ, Zero 147gr JHP & FMJ, Precision Delta 147gr FMJ-TC), the Zero 147gr FMJ probably has the best profile for feeding. The MG 147gr CMJ has a more blunt profile, and a small bit of flat at the tip, but seems to feed reliably because it makes contact with the ramp on the rounded part. R,

I have in an STI Spartan 9mm for test and eval. Thus far it's been flawlessly feed reliable with the Metalform/Springfield/Leatham 9-rounder that came with the gun, and one of my own M/S/L mags as well, with both the Rainier 147-gr. TRN/3.5-gr. N320 set to 1.140" and the Rainier 121-gr. RN/4.0-gr. N320 set to 1.120".

Thanks for the advise folks. I'm ordering the Dawson sale 10 rd metalform mags and a case of 115gr rn from MG. I'll make a sub-minor load with tightgroup for plinking and steel challenge.

While I wait for the bullets I need to read up on 1911 trigger work.

I have a 9mm Spartan that will be here Monday. I have several 10 rd mags to try. I decided to go with the 9mm because the brass is free. I would still be shooting my ESP Kimber with 9 round mags if brass was not an issue.