midget

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

got my lifter back from C-Rums today

Make sure before you put the lifter in, that you take a shell and slide it across the bottom of it to make sure it won't catch on the center slot... I had originally started with a center slot, but the shell would catch slightly...

got my lifter back from C-Rums today

Make sure before you put the lifter in, that you take a shell and slide it across the bottom of it to make sure it won't catch on the center slot... I had originally started with a center slot, but the shell would catch slightly...

It would if the end of the slot is square, like the 2 that you have pictured.

I just ordered a "factory" (special order) barrel for my 930 straight from Mossberg! It is the "Turkey" model, with NO PORTS. Cost $180 + shipping, which is cheaper than modding the factory 28" barrel!!!!

Specs:

24" OAL

Accu-choke (comes w/ X-Full tube, but I already have the other chokes)

Vent rib

Adjustable Fiber Optic Rear

Fiber Optic Front

NON-PORTED...

I have a Nordic Components +4 tube already, but may get the +1 cap with the 24" length.

Special Order Part Number:

16975MTFO (factory barrel) ADD NON-PORTED

You're welcome!

Jeff

Edited by JeffWard

I just ordered a "factory" (special order) barrel for my 930 straight from Mossberg! It is the "Turkey" model, with NO PORTS. Cost $180 + shipping, which is cheaper than modding the factory 28" barrel!!!!

Specs:

24" OAL

Accu-choke (comes w/ X-Full tube, but I already have the other chokes)

Vent rib

Adjustable Fiber Optic Rear

Fiber Optic Front

NON-PORTED...

I have a Nordic Components +4 tube already, but may get the +1 cap with the 24" length.

Special Order Part Number:

16975MTFO

Your welcome!

Jeff

Thank you sir! I am running into issues with Indiana's laws for what classifies at a "Saw'd off shotgun" for a week now... I might just end up ordering this....

How short are you wanting to go? I live in Indiana. Its perfectly legal to have the barrel cut back and re-threaded for chokes as long as the barrel is longer than 18in, which then makes it a SBS which is NOT legal to own in Indiana.

Also, I just called Mossberg, the customer service rep "Rick" I spoke to is well, an ass. Read him the Special Order part number above and said I wanted it NON-PORTED. Talked to me like Im an idiot and was wasting his time and that it was listed as a Ported barrel. I told him I know this, but I wanted a Special Order barrel, that a member of this forum told me he just ordered one directly from you, and got it NON-PORTED. His specific response was "Oh, your one of those people" in a slightly pissed off tone. Rambled something under his breathe, and said back, your looking at $180 plus shipping, and a wait time of 7-14days probably longer. He put emphasis on Probably Longer.

IMO, that attitude has made me not want to deal with Mossberg any more. I'll keep the 930, as I cant afford a Benelli, or the money to get it (Benelli) setup the way I want.

Just wanted to share that info with you guys, so you know what to expect when calling....

How short are you wanting to go? I live in Indiana. Its perfectly legal to have the barrel cut back and re-threaded for chokes as long as the barrel is longer than 18in, which then makes it a SBS which is NOT legal to own in Indiana.

Also, I just called Mossberg, the customer service rep "Rick" I spoke to is well, an ass. Read him the Special Order part number above and said I wanted it NON-PORTED. Talked to me like Im an idiot and was wasting his time and that it was listed as a Ported barrel. I told him I know this, but I wanted a Special Order barrel, that a member of this forum told me he just ordered one directly from you, and got it NON-PORTED. His specific response was "Oh, your one of those people" in a slightly pissed off tone. Rambled something under his breathe, and said back, your looking at $180 plus shipping, and a wait time of 7-14days probably longer. He put emphasis on Probably Longer.

IMO, that attitude has made me not want to deal with Mossberg any more. I'll keep the 930, as I cant afford a Benelli, or the money to get it (Benelli) setup the way I want.

Just wanted to share that info with you guys, so you know what to expect when calling....

I should have clarified what I said. You cannot cut your own barrel in IN, even if it is longer than the 18.5" minimum. You can have a "certified" gunsmith do it however. I'm writing up a petition to have the law clarified.

Also, I've had to call Mossberg several times and have only once had a problem. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the gentleman that I spoke to. Other than this one instance, I have had a pretty good experience with them so far. Please do us a favor and call and speak with their call center manager and let them know how you were treated.

Interesting on the not cutting it down yourself.... that seems a little.... silly? Luckily Fred Sauer of Hoagland Hardware is family.... therefore I have a damn good Smith to use. I believe the Sinclair fella's and a few others that know of him can agree.

Interesting on the not cutting it down yourself.... that seems a little.... silly? Luckily Fred Sauer of Hoagland Hardware is family.... therefore I have a damn good Smith to use. I believe the Sinclair fella's and a few others that know of him can agree.

The law was put into place back during the prohibition years to help combat people that were taking shots at the agents. It is essentially a large tag-on sentence to a minor distribution/possession of illegal alcohol.

Here is the exact section from it:

IC 35-47-5-4.1

Sawed-off shotgun

Sec. 4.1. (a) A person who:

(1) manufactures;

(2) causes to be manufactured;

(3) imports into Indiana;

(4) keeps for sale;

(5) offers or exposes for sale; or

(6) gives, lends, or possesses;

any sawed-off shotgun commits dealing in a sawed-off shotgun, a Class D felony.

(B) The presence of a weapon referred to in subsection (a) in a motor vehicle (as defined under IC 9-13-2-105(a)) except for school buses and a vehicle operated in the transportation of passengers by a common carrier (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-4) creates an inference that the weapon is in the possession of the persons occupying the motor vehicle. However, the inference does not apply to all the persons occupying the motor vehicle if the weapon is found upon, or under the control of, one (1) of the occupants. In addition, the inference does not apply to a duly licensed driver of a motor vehicle for hire who finds the weapon in the licensed driver's motor vehicle in the proper pursuit of the licensed driver's trade.

© This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells a sawed-off shotgun to a law enforcement agency.

As added by P.L.1-1990, SEC.351. Amended by P.L.2-1991, SEC.107.

[

How's it cheaper than modding the factory 28", unless you have to buy the 28" then modify it.

Mike Orlen did work on mine...

cut barrel to rib post - NC

install provided hi-viz sight - $10

lengthen and polish forcing cone and chamber - $35

Thread barrel for chokes - $35

return shipping $15

Total = $95

ASK FOR EDNA PEREZ!!!!! SHE ROCKS AND WAS MORE THAN EASY TO DEAL WITH TOOK ME 2 WEEKS TO RECEIVE THE BARREL!

[

How's it cheaper than modding the factory 28", unless you have to buy the 28" then modify it.

return shipping $15

Total = $95

Briley offers threading for $95, cheaper than buying a new barrel.. :cheers:

http://www.briley.com/2009/screwchokepricing.html

Edited by DWFAN

[

return shipping $15

Total = $95

Briley offers threading for $95, cheaper than buying a new barrel.. :cheers:

http://www.briley.com/2009/screwchokepricing.html

lol...

Yeah, for the threading... Cutting back the barrel, sights, threading, and 3 chokes will cost you closer to $400...

Briley is likely the best... But you pay dearly for the best.

Why not Orlen? Well, I can sell my two CURRENT barrels for well over $100 each on Gunbroker, which gives me a 3-Gun barrel for the cost of the other 2, plus a little profit. I can buy extended (knurled sporting clays) chokes for about $25-30 each, to replace the factories. And I can still send out the barrel to Orlen for the forcing cone work down the road, if I choose.

[

return shipping $15

Total = $95

Mike's current price list totaled $215 for the above work. He's not replying to emails on pricing.

I may send him the barrel later for forcing cone work.

Jeff

Well, I scheduled a time today to stop by a gun smith in Fort Wayne who came very highly recommended... It looks like I'm going to have him do the following:

Cut/Crown my 28" barrel at 24"

Thread the barrel for Carilson's extended chokes

Lengthen and polish the forcing cone

I'm also going to talk to him about doing a full trigger job on the 930, but I'm not set on this yet...

Just for the barrel work he quoted me around 150$...

Be aware that Carlson makes choke tubes, of most configurations. Winchokes are the same as Mossberg's choke tubes, which are the same as Invictor tubes. Is the work going to be the same threading as the Mossberg chokes?

Well, I scheduled a time today to stop by a gun smith in Fort Wayne who came very highly recommended... It looks like I'm going to have him do the following:

Cut/Crown my 28" barrel at 24"

Lengthen and polish the forcing cone

I'm also going to talk to him about doing a full trigger job on the 930, but I'm not set on this yet...

Just for the barrel work he quoted me around 150$...

You can buy a new barrel from Mossberg at 24" and then sell yours on Gunbroker and make half your money back........

Just curious about lengthening the forcing cone. Which forcing cone, the chamber or the choke entry forcing cone? What is the purpose/advantage for this?

Thanks,

David E.

My 930 will be here next week, 24" turkey like philg's. I will be making port covers to be held in place by the Nordic tube clamp.

Alrighty, another update...

My barrel is sitting at David Shwarze's shop... He estimated 3 weeks before I will see it again...

I should have a prototype of the lifter gate in my hands in 2 weeks... After I get the lifter gate, test it, and make the required modifications, I will start taking names for anyone who wants one... Right now it looks like they will be around 45$ + shipping...

Change of plans... LOL

I chopped the damned barrel myself the other night, just at 22" in front of a vent rib post.

I'm having the rib drilled and tapped for the factory front sight locally (damn near free).

THEN, I'll send it out to get forcing cone and choke tube threads (which will true up the barrel end).

Buy myself 2-3 Invicta/Winchester "Sporting Clays" knurled screw-in chokes for the Mossberg threads.

I'm invested less than $100...

Sold the slug barrel today!

DONE.

Oh yeah... I opened up the front of the loading port, which has eliminated the Chinese thumb-cuff effect!

Port.jpg

Installed a Nordic comp +4 Tube ($75).

I figure I'll be all in for $575 when I'm done, finished...

Jeff

Edited by JeffWard

Alrighty, another update...

My barrel is sitting at David Shwarze's shop... He estimated 3 weeks before I will see it again...

I should have a prototype of the lifter gate in my hands in 2 weeks... After I get the lifter gate, test it, and make the required modifications, I will start taking names for anyone who wants one... Right now it looks like they will be around 45$ + shipping...

Absolutely yummy!!! hard time waiting, daddy's fat fingers need a nice lifter!

On another note, you guys looking at getting a 930 to build, remember that most of the 930's will come with three chokes. All you need to do is have it shortened and threaded for the mossberg chokes, and the rib drilled and tapped for a new sight. I drilled/tapped my own (pretty cheap if you ever plan to do any shotgun work at home) and sent it to guncat for the threading.

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious about lengthening the forcing cone. Which forcing cone, the chamber or the choke entry forcing cone? What is the purpose/advantage for this?

Thanks,

David E.

My 930 will be here next week, 24" turkey like philg's. I will be making port covers to be held in place by the Nordic tube clamp.

I'd like to know what lengthening the forcing cone does too. Does it help with the gas system, recoil??

Jeff Cockrum...Crums here...already knows how to mod the lifter for the Mossbergs! He did the first one for the T&E gun that I did, so he is up on what needs to be done! KurtM