Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding GRX die

gordonm1

Hello gunslingers:

I already have the EGW die. Does the GRX roll sizer undersize the brass like the EGW? I seem to be loosing accuracy with cast bullets and moly coated bullets when using the EGW die. All loads look the same on paper with the EGW die producing average accuracy. My Dillon die ends up making a tight fitting case in my barrel but it's accurate with cast bullets.

Hello gunslingers:

I already have the EGW die. Does the GRX roll sizer undersize the brass like the EGW? I seem to be loosing accuracy with cast bullets and moly coated bullets when using the EGW die. All loads look the same on paper with the EGW die producing average accuracy. My Dillon die ends up making a tight fitting case in my barrel but it's accurate with cast bullets.

The G-Rx is not a roll sizer, it is a push-through die.

Redding claims that this die will not undersize the brass. It is only supposed to reform it back to its original spec of 10.74mm. In my experience, the resizing process reduces the size of the brass closer to 10.65mm.

That's right...neither are roll sizers. I've had great luck with the EGW die in 9/40/38SC and really love it.

As far as your accuracy issue, are you flaring the case enough so it's not shaving the lead or wax? What's your crimp like?

+1 for checking to make sure that you have enough flare and not much crimp at all. I've noticed an improvement in accuracy and a decrease in leading with both lead and moly coated lead bullets after updating the above. FWIW, I'd be surprised if the U die is causing the bullet to wobble around in the chamber. The U die doesn't size ALL the way down the case, so the base/web are not underszed. Also, I'm just about sure that the U die doesn't make the front of your cartriges move around in your chamber, since the lead bullet is .401 instead of .40. That is one reason why so many people need the leade opened up when the shoot lead bullets. I've needed to ream the leades of two out of three 9mm glock barrels just to get normal (per the loading book) length bullets to seat in my chambers. I use the U die for .40 and 9mm.

Edited by 1fng

I loaded with the U-Die then I quit it for all the right reasons. So I break all my decapping pins for the Hornady Die I was using, I get the U-Die back out and use it till I get decapping PINs. It was horrible, and just didn't realize how bad it was till I put the Hornady die back in, my reloading speed doubled! Yep that U-Die was causeing a lot of effort both down and up, crap I don't miss it.

Now to the Question - The Grx is a marvelous invention almost as ingenious as velcro, so simple why didn't one of us think of it. Any way I started using it faithflully on every case then one day I was struck with the Lazy stick and I stopped doing that. I started using it only when I needed it, when a round fails to drop check well I poke it thru the GRX and its all good. It does not underzsize the case, in fact you will still need to size the brass to load it. The GRX does take that little fat area just above the rim out.

I loaded with the U-Die then I quit it for all the right reasons. So I break all my decapping pins for the Hornady Die I was using, I get the U-Die back out and use it till I get decapping PINs. It was horrible, and just didn't realize how bad it was till I put the Hornady die back in, my reloading speed doubled! Yep that U-Die was causeing a lot of effort both down and up, crap I don't miss it.

Now to the Question - The Grx is a marvelous invention almost as ingenious as velcro, so simple why didn't one of us think of it. Any way I started using it faithflully on every case then one day I was struck with the Lazy stick and I stopped doing that. I started using it only when I needed it, when a round fails to drop check well I poke it thru the GRX and its all good. It does not underzsize the case, in fact you will still need to size the brass to load it. The GRX does take that little fat area just above the rim out.

Were you using lead bullets with it that are larger in diameter?

Hello gunslingers:

Unfortunately, there isn't a free lunch with this sort of stuff. Why do you need to use the U-die in the first place? Is it because you're using brass that wasn't previously shot in your gun and it won't chamber, or is too tight in your gun? The combination of U-die and lead bullets, which are typically larger by .001" (or a bit more in many cases) isn't likely to produce the best ammo. If you need something in between the Dillon die, and a U-die, the first thing I would try would be a standard Lee resizing die. It will get farther down the case than a Dillon die, resize them a touch more, but not as much as the U-die. That should make them less snug in the chamber, but not so tight they're messing up the bullet.

Ideally, use only cases that have been shot in your gun if you really want to get the best accuracy. If you do that, the Dillon die should resize them enough that they chamber fine, but won't mar the bullet. R,

Cocobolo:

I wonder if I can copy your laziness with my EGW die? Take the guts out of the die and leave the u-die in the single stage for the the fat cases?

Bartman:

It's to understand the effect a slightly smaller case can have. Your suggestion the die can be marring the bullets is kinda where I was thinking the issue may be. Hard to prove so far. There is certainly increased tension on the loaded bullet that changes the peak pressure location in the barrel. I was also thinking smaller case = more blowby as bullet gets started in the barrel. This might make for more melted lead in the barrel. I do notice an increase in barrel fouling with the undersize cases.

I need to pony up for some jacketed bullets some time and try them. So far, I've only fired bare lead and moly coated bullets.

FWIW,,,here is solution 16,313 wink.gif

Standard (your brand here) sizer with .356 and .401* bullets shot in off the shelf barrel chambers. All day.

Shooting .355 jacketed bullets exclusively in 9 Major now days in a very tight chamber.

I use the 9mm EGW U die on a single stage press before tossing them in the case feeder.

This process works for >my< guns and gear. Your solution maybe one of the numbered above...

...or it will be 16,314 smile.gif and that's fine too.

*All .40 S&W brass is run through a Lee Bulge Buster (~1/2 the price of the GRX, same process and results) during inspection.

Jim

• 1 year later...

Instead of a GRX push thru die I have a Lee Bulge Buster kit with Factory crimp die (all internals removed except for the carbide ring) which is set up on my RCBS single stage press...

--My rationale for this, I could accidentally pick a brass or two that's not mine and it might come from a OEM Glock barrel that might have some bulge at the bottom of the brass...so to avoid any FTF, using this die as my first step to my reloading

EGW U-die installed on my Dillon 550 first stage...

--For me, its an insurance against setback of bullets especially that I am shooting .40 S&W and we all know that this caliber is a high pressure cartridge. And I'm using Berry's plated bullets...