Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do YOU approach a State Match any differently

wksinatl

I will be shooting a State SC Match in a month.

Do you do anything differently than you do at your local level Matches? Practice more? Practice differently? Usually shoot 2 guns but only shoot one in the State Match? ETC...........

thanks,

Keith

Do you do anything differently than you do at your local level Matches?

thanks,

Keith

I strip my gun down and give it a good cleaning. Otherwise, everything else is the same except for some self-imposed pressure.

I pay a little more attention to my ammo prep. For local matches I just grab my ammo from the practice pile. For a bigger match I'll sort brass by headstamp, verify my powder charge, and chamber check each round in the barrel.

I'll also print out a checklist to go through while packing everything up.

I think the ammo prep is a good place to start. Like Jay says. I will load it at least a week before and box it up so that can see every primer. Learned that one the hard way in Montana.

Try to mix up your practice times if you can , and or get up 1 hr early and dry fire a few days during the week. = I never did that enough

Each stage I have a Trick that I focus on to occupy my brain. Like on Smoke and hope = I will look at the targets from the stop plate 4-3 2-1 start plate put up my hands.

Pump up your practice so that you call out that you will not take and extra shot. or that your are going to break under 3 seconds on the next run.

See how much pressure you can take and still nail a run.

I strongly suggest that you do not think about any time that you want to hit before you shoot any stage any run at the big match.

You may find that you punched out a 2.35 on Smoke and Hope Like you wanted , But you have two misses added in

For big steel I usually jerk the trigger harder and close both eyes.

Honestly I will clean my gun a little. Make sure all screws are tight and everything is in working order.

I do make sure I use all the same headstamp brass to fit my GREAT HEARTCO moon clips.

I try to shoot every match the same. If you are changing something in your shooting then you are not doing what you are used to. And you are not thinking about winning and what you need to be thinking about.

That being said last year after our state match. (Georgia) I realized I had a broken pin in my 22 Ruger which I used to take second place in 22 iron. LOL

Make sure your ammo is the best it can be keep your mental game where it needs to be.