Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol grip or standard stock For Super Nova

1911vm

I have an opportunity to get a Super Nova. The dealer has both PG and a standard stock what are the pros and cons of both. I noticed that NOVESKE team uses PG for Nova and straight for semi auto.

Edited by 1911vm

I don't have any experience with the pistol grip stock in 3gun, I run a straight stock on my Nova and M1S90. A shotgun just feels right with a straight stock to me. I suppose a pistol grip stock may make it easier to keep the gun on your shoulder during loading, but I have small wrists and have not had any problems keeping my 24" Nova (or my 32" Winchester 97 just for fun) on my shoulder while loading.

Hurley

I have an opportunity to get a Super Nova. The dealer has both PG and a standard stock what are the pros and cons of both. I noticed that NOVESKE team uses PG for Nova and straight for semi auto.

Well the reason I reckon they use straight handle for the semi is that the Benelli M2 are known to have running issues with the PG due to the inertia system that Benelli uses, not something you wanna gamble on at a match. But since the Nova is a pump that issue is completely eliminated.

I would say play with them both, some find the PG points better for them due to that "AR" feeling, others like the normal stock due to the way they reload. For me it seems i can mount a pistol grip stock faster with a shorter barrel shotgun (22inches or less) With a longer shotgun barrel I have so much sight radius I don't see the pistol grip offering any advantage.