Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bushing or Bull?

Shay1911

Bull in all of the following:

5” Long Wide Dust cover limited, slide is a Factory SVI 3 Sided Top

5” Tactical Long Rail (Full length dust cove but narrow like a standard frame) slide is a custom lightened 3 Sided Top

6” .40 Limited Short Dust Cover, slide is a custom lightened 3 Sided Top

Out.

2011BLDR

Much easier to make weight with a bushing.

Make weight?

Limited and L-10 guns don't have to make weight and you can't use a bull barrel for SS unless the barrel is 4.20" or shorter. R,

Did I miss something; where does the OP mention division or barrel length? "1911-style Pistols > Bushing or Bull?" is what I see.

Well, the title says "2011" and in post #3 he says "run of the mill Limited type gun". R,

Got a 5" bull barrel in my new limited gun which has a full length dust cover and a lightened slide. That little bit of extra weight helps with recoil control. I still haven't outrun my last three Limited guns which have had bull barrels, so for me the extra weight in the gun isn't what's holding me back. I've watched upper level M class shooters drive 5" long dustcover bull barrel guns just fine. I think for 6 inch guns its almost mandatory to get a bushing barrel to cut down on weight for faster slide speed.

I think for 6 inch guns its almost mandatory to get a bushing barrel to cut down on weight for faster slide speed.

Apples and oranges. The weight of the barrel doesn't have much influence on slide speed. It makes some/more difference in an Open gun, because the barrel is pulled forward by the comp, but that's not true of "normal" guns. In fact, a bushing barrel adds the weight of a bushing to the slide, so any difference from a lighter barrel is probably offset by adding weight to the slide.

Most people want a bushing barrel in a 6" gun for overall weight and balance issues. R,

Just to quickly add...

I weighed some barrels, all 5".

Bushing barrel : 4.5oz

Bull barrel: 6.2oz (corrected)

Hybrid, 6 port rib, no holes drilled: 7.0 Oz

For a 6", add another 1.0oz or so.

A bushing weighs 0.5oz. Bushing barrel plus bushing weighed 4.9oz or so.

A new bold 5" slide weighs around 13.7oz. Depending on the cuts, it can end up weighing from 8oz and up.

Edited by Shay1911

I never did vote because it depends on what type of pistol I'm shooting.

In a 5" 2011 pistol, I prefer a bull barrel.

I have a bushing barrel in my current 6" limited gun.

HOWEVER

I am currently having a 6" pistol being built that has a lightened bull barrel. I suspect this GRUNDHAUSER GUNWORKS (gotta throw that in....) pistol will be an amazing pistol. Then again, I like heavier pistols than most guys. I don't care for light pistols. My current pistol is about 37-38oz. The new pistol will be around 38-39oz. I'd rather have some weight in the pistol to help soak up the recoil. I find no problem with transitions from target to target with a heavier pistol.

I will be posting a pistol review once the Grundhauser Gunworks pistol is finished. In fact, I plan on using it down in Houston at the Texas open in March 2011.

I have an Infinity with 6" bull barrel and several other's with both 5" bull and bushing barrels. I can not really feel the couple ounce difference between them during shooting and accuracy seems about the same. I do prefer heavier guns and split 50/50 on bushing or bull.

Interesting poll.