Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Listening to plates

I shot a match recently where the host club had single plates on hinged stands - instead of falling off the stand, a struck plate would simply rotate down on a tight hinge into a horizontal position. The interesting thing is that the plates didn't ring when struck - apparently the hinges and stands dampen the sound. In addition, the stops for the plates were padded, so that the wasn't even any sound when the plate hit the stop, unlike most plate racks I've used. The one drawback to the tight hinges was that an edge hit would only partially rotate the plate.

Shooting these plates was an eye opener for me. I have been trying to call my shots on steel visually, instead of listening for the round striking. Not being able to hear ANYTHING certainly forced the issue.

I'm gonna to try the paper plate target "plate rack" trick when I practice.

Way back in '81 - wow that sounds like forever ago but I remember it like last week - I had no idea how beneficial it was to practice for the Steel Challenge using paper plates stapled to sticks, because I couldn't afford steel targets.

Kevin,

Shot a 3-gun match last weekend with the set up you described.

It really makes you call your shots or spend a lot of time going back. Watched Mike Voigt go very very fast through them missing very few shots. It was very educational.

I thought I had found a "free" source of paper plates. Then, last summer, the wife started wondering where all the paper plates were going. Dang. :D

I can't even begin to describe the "look" I got when the discovery of the paper plates in my shooting box was made and I tried to explain what they were for. No, I was not going to a bunch of illicit BBQs and pot luck dinners. I was shooting holes in them. Yes dear, others do this too. Yes dear. Even that "Brian guy" I talk about does it.