Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Stock II

kruzan

What is anyone’s experience with hollow point 9mm ammo and EAA match guns? Is this ammo brand specific or am I wasting my time? I understand that it likely doesn’t matter to some. I would however think their carry guns would be very good with it and are not that different overall?. I am having some mixed result (JHP only) with my new Stock II which has been very good overall or flawless with all the various range ammo I tried. I am not planning on carrying this gun but would like to know it’s possible. (OK maybe I am and realize I risk borderline `Ghetto’ looks here as a carry piece because it is so nice.) It is now one of my favorites but I did purchase it mainly to improve my skills at the range.

I now have over 1000+ 9mm rounds through this new Stock II on three different sessions, cleaning the gun after each trip. I like everything about this gun and installed Henning’s fiber optic front sight and cone fit guide rod after the first trip to the range. This first trip shot flawless on all the brands of the standard factory round nose (115, 124, 147 Grain) along with the 20 rounds of Federal Premium 135 grain hydro shock that it ate right up (the very nice nickel plated brass for personal defense). However on the second session with the only real change being the new guide w/same spring) the HP’s I tried jammed. I did try an off brand of JHP (Tactical 115 Grain) that would not feed from the magazine for nothing (the brass was also nickel plated). The round was longer than typical so on the third trip I tried a Fiocchi 147 grain JHP but that would also not feed at all now either. This was the blue box, also nickel plated brass, and I now understand the Blue box is American made. I thought the Italian ammo in the Italian gun would be better…kidding.

I fear that it is a magazine issue because they look caught in the mag or would just not even partially load at times with cycling the slide or releasing the slide with the stop after clearing. This is more likely to be the hollow point’s ability to get up the ramp? I have the one new stainless gun mag and one of the black factory EAA with Henning’s alum base, but neither really seems better or worse functionally. The barrel feed ramp is hand polished and smooth, but some minor barely noticeable scratches or machine marks are visible.

I plan to try this same suspect ammo in my Glock 26 as it seems to eat HP very well. (After I install my new Truglo fiber-optic night sights this week end. I hope this provides a much more visible sight picture than the factory night sights and got the ones with the yellow back and front green.) I will also try some different JHP in the Stock II like Hornady TAP or the Critical Defense to see if the plastic tips will slide better (if I can find some). I should also retest the same federal and then the `stock' guide rod again, just in case.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, thanks for that.

It looks like the cone fit guide rod did make the difference here because when I made the change back to the stock guide rod today she went through some 25 Rem gold saber hollow points without an issue. I appologise for taking so long to report back but wanted to again try the Henning rod, and with some 300 rounds of range ammo, no problem, but in using or trying the HPs (after they manually cycled without and issue) it would not cycle the HPs at the range or FTF.

Today with the stock guide rod, after shooting a bunch of Remmington the WWB had a couple of FTE, (likly the rem may have been dirty) but other than that no problem. The pistol seems to like all brands of ammo. So for me it looks like for the range or with the round nose the Henning rod is the way to go, but if you want to use some HP's it looks like change back or stay with the stock Stock II rod. :)

Buy the way - the Henning fiber optic front sight is super primo good. It allows a much better sight picture and putting the small red dot over the bull gets me hits at 30 yards on a 2" target, so I am very happy overall with this (and even thinking about getting a Jerico). :)

• 6 months later...

Another question:

I want to buy a HENNING Firing Pin (extra long) to my gun (Tanfoglio Stock II, 38 SA, large frame). I'm a little bit confused what they say on Internet (maybe my English is getting worse :( ):

"Large Frame (H-XLFP2)

This newest model has a 1/16" hole drilled through the center of the back of it to further lighten the firing pin and shorten lock time. The firing pin sits just flush with the breech face of the slide which makes it virtually impossible to have any primer blowback. Only for Single Action models ! Overall length = 2.630". Can be fitted to DA by shortening the pin. Weighs 4.2 grams.

Small Frame (H-LFPS)

This firing pin replaces the factory pin and ensures 100% ignition and faster locking time. Fits all small frame models. Overall length = 2.480". It is 0.025" effective length longer than factory and doesn't chip like the factory does. Designed to work with Stock II Double Action models. Also works for Single Action models."

So, should a buy a firing pin for Large Frame or Small Frame?

Thank you again!

Another question:

I want to buy a HENNING Firing Pin (extra long) to my gun (Tanfoglio Stock II, 38 SA, large frame). I'm a little bit confused what they say on Internet (maybe my English is getting worse :( ):

"Large Frame (H-XLFP2)

This newest model has a 1/16" hole drilled through the center of the back of it to further lighten the firing pin and shorten lock time. The firing pin sits just flush with the breech face of the slide which makes it virtually impossible to have any primer blowback. Only for Single Action models ! Overall length = 2.630". Can be fitted to DA by shortening the pin. Weighs 4.2 grams.

Small Frame (H-LFPS)

This firing pin replaces the factory pin and ensures 100% ignition and faster locking time. Fits all small frame models. Overall length = 2.480". It is 0.025" effective length longer than factory and doesn't chip like the factory does. Designed to work with Stock II Double Action models. Also works for Single Action models."

So, should a buy a firing pin for Large Frame or Small Frame?

Thank you again!

I believe that the "38 SA" refers to the caliber not the action. From Tanfoglio's website for the Stock II:

http://www.tanfoglio.it/uploads/catalog/media/schedastockiijpg.jpg

schedastockiijpg.jpg

I think he's referring to the fact that Henning suggests a SMALL FRAME firing pin for a gun that is LARGE FRAME.

Oh yeah. I keep forgetting that for the US, even the 9mm Stock II is on a LARGE frame, but outside the US, it may vary. Based on what Henning wrote a while back in this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61717&view=findpost&p=717992

the ".38 SA" is more likely on a LARGE frame.

Anyway, it sounds to me like the best way to figure out which firing pin to get is to measure your mags. If the mag is bigger than 1.250 x 1.800 then it must be a large frame gun.

Hello,

Can I use the Hennings guide rod (ConeFit) with original (factory) guide god bushing (Reverse Plug)?

My gun is Tanfoglio Stock II, 38 Super Auto.

Thank you all!

Just a tip. I saw you are from Brazil. Beware that using Henning-made parts makes the gun a no-go in IPSC Production.

But of course thats not a problem if you are a Standard competitor.

Oh yeah. I keep forgetting that for the US, even the 9mm Stock II is on a LARGE frame, but outside the US, it may vary. Based on what Henning wrote a while back in this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61717&view=findpost&p=717992

Anyway, it sounds to me like the best way to figure out which firing pin to get is to measure your mags. If the mag is bigger than 1.250 x 1.800 then it must be a large frame gun.

Ok! I'm sure my gun is a LARGE FRAME. So, I should buy a firing pin for large frame. Right?

That's the problem: they say the firing pin for Stock II (DA / SA) is the small frame firing pin...

:huh:

http://www.brianenos...ndpost&p=717992

Ok! I'm sure my gun is a LARGE FRAME. So, I should buy a firing pin for large frame. Right?

That's the problem: they say the firing pin for Stock II (DA / SA) is the small frame firing pin...

Yes.

You need to be careful using the extra long pin on a large frame double action! The small frame pin is made to be safe with the double action, like the Stock II, but the large frame pin should only be used in single action guns unless you shorten the pin slightly.

There is a post or an article on Hennings website about this somewhere, can't remember at the moment but will post a link as soon as I find it.

Found the info it is on Hennings shop page where you order the pins.

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/hxlfp.html