Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI mag purchase

mshotwell

I'm starting a 2011 build next week. This will be my first experence with a 2011. My question is do I buy complete mags or do I body parts and build my own? There seem to be alot of issue with the factor STI mags. I'm wondering if I'll be money ahead to buy springs, followers, and pads from Gram or Dawson. If it makes a difference I'm planning on using a Dawson Ice magwell. It will be a 6in 40 cal.

Thanks

I would call one of the mag tuners and have them do it as my first option. Second option would be to by tubes, SNL pads (check them in a gauge), and grams Springs followers. That combo has always been reliable for me. The only ones I run Bolens followers in is the mags that have been tuned with them.

I've had two combinations that I typically build...both start with an STI tube and use the Dawson +1 base pad (I don't want to take chances with the SNL and find out I'm too long). Combo #1 uses an ISMI mag spring and a Dawson follower...thats good for 19 round in the mag. Combo #2 uses the Grams mag spring and follower...thats typically good for 20 rounds in the mag. Both are reloadable.

If you plan on tuned mags order way ahead of time because in my experience mag tuners way underestimate the time it will take for you to have a tuned mag in your hand.

I have been told "they will ship tomorrow" only to wait 2 more weeks and they still hadn't been shipped.

Un tuned STI tubes, Grams spring and follower, with a Bolen 4mm basepad will give you 21 startable and 20 re loadable.