Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dumb question...Camp Perry style shooting....group size?

Chills1994

Hi everyone...Happy New Year!

I figured I would start a new thread instead of hijacking DMAC's thread on what the high end should be on a variable scope...one to four....one to six....one to eight???

So that thread has got me wondering, what kind of targets or groups are the service rifle guys shooting at the Camp Perry matches.

I think they are shooting out to at least 600 yards with iron sights.

So how big are their targets? What is the size of the X ring?

And just what kinda groups can they put up?

How do the sizes of their targets compare to say a steel flasher target?

Yeah, I know it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison...at Camp Perry they get to be prone, wear a heavy shooting jacket, get to use a sling, and they get so much time to shoot say just 5 or 10 rounds.

Thanks!

The 200/300 yard target has a 3" X ring and a 7" 10 ring, overall size of the black is 19"

At 600 yards the X ring is 6" AND THE 10 RING 12", overall size of the black is 36"

so the major scoring zones are somewhat the same as a flash target.

Almost all good Service rifles and shooters ...Expert/Distinguished Expert will "Hold" at least M.O.A. The winners a bit better. The times involved are GENEROUS, and as a side note We in 3-gun can use slings also! I do quite offten, BUT you got to know how, and run a Ching Sling! :P

Remeber hold ard and favor the middle!!

Edited by kurtm

I would add that our (3 Gunners) aiming area (10" disk in most apps) is also our only scoring area.

In High Power the 19" and 36" black bulls are easier to see and are scoring zones too!

I ain't dissing the game of High Power as I hold a Master rating in that game too.

It is hard to hit want you can't see, hence the big aiming areas in High Power and

precisely the reason the Trapr/Miller 4MOA target rule ought to be adopted!

Patrick

GASP!!! you mean to tell me that 3 of the reall good 3-gun Iron Sight shooters have a Hi-Power background? What,s nexts dogs and cats sleeping together? And I have watched all of them use a sling in 3-gun.....well the world is sure taking a crazy turn today!

The reason I said it was about the same is that if you are shooting too many of your ballistic pentrators out of the 10 ring these days you aren't winning in Hi-Power either. BUT My "Esteamed" colligue is absolutely right!! you can always SEE a Hi-Power target...and they are black and white Rob! Kuert Mueller

This is just my opinion...WARNING!/DISCLAIMER! I haven't ever been to a large 3 gun match , so take my opinion with a grain of salt...or a block...

Butttt, IMO, if what we are doing in 3 gun is basically simulated combat or mock combat, then we should be shooting at steel targets at whatever distances (say 200 yards and beyond) that are essentially identical in shape and dimensions as a cardboard (humanoid shaped) USPSA target. 18 inches wide by how many inches tall.

From what I recall in my "Army days" while in the Air Force, the black humanoid silhouette shaped pop up targets were all the same size whether they were 50 feet away....or 300 yards...

anywhooo...I just stumbled across this blog...

http://www.kyledefoor.com/

it seems to be interesting reading so far.

This is just my opinion...WARNING!/DISCLAIMER! I haven't ever been to a large 3 gun match , so take my opinion with a grain of salt...or a block...

Butttt, IMO, if what we are doing in 3 gun is basically simulated combat or mock combat, then we should be shooting at steel targets at whatever distances (say 200 yards and beyond) that are essentially identical in shape and dimensions as a cardboard (humanoid shaped) USPSA target. 18 inches wide by how many inches tall.

From what I recall in my "Army days" while in the Air Force, the black humanoid silhouette shaped pop up targets were all the same size whether they were 50 feet away....or 300 yards...

anywhooo...I just stumbled across this blog...

http://www.kyledefoor.com/

it seems to be interesting reading so far.

In my humble opinion it would be to easy and hard to score. I'm not trying to simulate any thing I just like shooting :cheers:

Here are all the scoring ring sizes for all the targets used in HighPower (reduced 100 yard through 1000 yard).

http://www.tngbbs.co...p/Section4.html

Sure wish I could hold MOA across the course. Just squeaked an expert card myself when I was into HighPower way back when, can still just squeak a low Expert score in if I don't screw the pooch too badly anywhere across the course LOL

Shooting a really good score in this sport is no mean feat by any means ;)