Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat nose bullet data

Wanted

Perhaps you should get another couple of manuals. I have a Lee, 2 Hornady, and the latest Lyman manuals and they all provide data for HP, RNFP, TC, cast, and jacketed. Depending on the powder you are using, check their website; they usually provide load data for various types of projectiles.

Check out the Accurate Powder Reloading Guide. It has got some good data for both FN and JHP for several different bullet manufacturers.

I assume you don't have one since they don't offer it anymore (apparently it's being "reworked" and might be done in 6 months or something). Here is a link to the most recent; it's a pdf version online:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/36302640/Accurate-Reloading-Guide

The website is super slow to load but once it does you can browse the whole manual. If you want the actual pdf file I've got it saved on my computer; send me an email.

Edited by ThomasJ2772

165 gr. Precision Delta or Zero bullets. Win 231, So I could use Hollow point, and reduce the load and start there?

Yes you could. You might also check out www.handloads.com. Of course, verify any data you see on that website, but the loads are bullet/powder specific.

Edited by Adam P.

165 gr. Precision Delta or Zero bullets. Win 231, So I could use Hollow point, and reduce the load and start there?

The PD 165gr FMJs do have a bit of a flat nose, but overall, the profile is FMJ....you can use FMJ data with that bullet, no problem. The Zero 165gr FMJ is more flat nose/truncated cone, and similar to a JHP, so I'd use JHP data. Honestly, if you used either FMJ or JHP data, and started well below max, and worked up, you'd be fine.

For example, with 231, Hodgdgon (they do Win data) shows a starting charge of 4.8gr with a 165gr JHP at 1.125". If you wanted to be extra safe, start at 4.5gr and work up. You will likely find it tough to make Major (if you're trying) while staying within book limits, and even more if you're loading to longer OALs. R,

You can assume to be safe if you use HP(jacketed) data for your FN(jacketed) bullet of the same weight. The HP is going to be longer for the same weight, reducing your case volume for the same OAL. Shorter OAL is bad, longer OAL will generally lower your pressure. Do this only for jacketed bullets, cast lead drives pressures up very quickly, as they tend to seal better in the barrel. I made that mistake once and had bad pressure signs in a 1911, where I was driving a 180gr moly bullet to 1200fps! in 45ACP! way too fast! left residue all over the barrel even though they were the 'torch proof' black coated lead bullets.

You can assume to be safe if you use HP(jacketed) data for your FN(jacketed) bullet of the same weight. The HP is going to be longer for the same weight, reducing your case volume for the same OAL. Shorter OAL is bad, longer OAL will generally lower your pressure. Do this only for jacketed bullets, cast lead drives pressures up very quickly, as they tend to seal better in the barrel. I made that mistake once and had bad pressure signs in a 1911, where I was driving a 180gr moly bullet to 1200fps! in 45ACP! way too fast! left residue all over the barrel even though they were the 'torch proof' black coated lead bullets.

Usually, but not always. For example, I just measured two different bullets....Precision Delta 180gr FMJs are .618" long, and Zero 180gr JHPs are .609" long. I've seen other examples of this as well. R,