Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

canyon creek extended magazine release button

underlug

No. No extended magazine button is legal unless some model of your gun is available from the factory with that magazine release: example, G21 mag release installed in a G17 is legal.

External modifications are prohibited in production. The good news is that it's the same for everyone. :roflol:

Production is a division dominated by mostly stock guns with trigger work and sights replaced. That is the purpose of the division.

If you want to modify your gun, shoot L-10. In L-10, you can use a race holster and basically modify whatever you want.

I think ir is, because you can order an XD from the factory with an extended......I know the one on CC's "Production Ready" XD is slightly extended

My interpretation of the rules would say that's not correct. Specifically, this portion of Appendix D4:

Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns

will only be considered “OEM parts” if the customshop

gun is on the NROI list of approved Production

guns.

No custom shop version of the XD is on the Production Approved list, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.

The extended mag release for the XD from Rich is legal for production division. The "oversized" extended mag release is not legal. Rich knows his stuff and wouldn't put anything non-production legal on his guns if he knows you're shooting in that division. I have one on mine and have been through 4 sectionals and an Area championship with it and it was no problemo.

Is the canyon creek extended magazine button legal for production class in USPSA?

Yes. Rich provided SA's custom shop with his extended mag release. Totally legal and a nice improvement over the OEM button.

Reference here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81386&st=0&p=1018358&hl=button&fromsearch=1entry1018358

Jim

Is the canyon creek extended magazine button legal for production class in USPSA?

Yes. Rich provided SA's custom shop with his extended mag release. Totally legal and a nice improvement over the OEM button.

That is not sufficient to make a part legal for Production. Springfield must certify that they have made 2000 guns in that configuration and petition the USPSA to add that "custom shop" gun to the Production list in order for such a modification to be legal for production.

See here:

http://www.nroi.org/archives/2009/04/frequently_aske.html

All modifications are presumed illegal in production unless some portion of the rules can be cited allowing the modification.

This may have been covered in the past by an official ruling, though, so I think it's important to find out if there's a ruling on this before deciding anything.

Without an official ruling, I would not install any aftermarket magazine release in a Production gun and expect it to pass muster, regardless of whether range officials have "caught" the modification before.

The consequences of shooting a stage with an unapproved modification are quite severe (bump to Open), so I think it's important to get a ruling on this specific part before telling any shooter that they can use a modified part.

mellow.gif

Tim,

I respect your interpretation. But it won't change reality. His specific extended mag release did indeed "pass muster" in the summer of 09. And has been used by countless Production shooters-legally.

His over-sized and extended button did not. Please don't take my word for it wink.gif but you can take his....

Vice President/NROI Director

John Amidon

dnroi@uspsa.org

vp@uspsa.org

Fax: +1 (315) 458-4053

Jim

Hey, look what I found:

n Aftermarket parts which extend the length of the magazine releases may be used. Magazine releases which provide a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

http://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20090307_production_2of3.html

Appears you guys are good to go.

FWIW, this is the correct way to answer this question. I searched the NROI website yesterday but I couldn't find this one. There are no grandfathered type modifications. Every production competitor who makes external modifications needs to be able to cite a rule or a published ruling that authorizes that modification.

If I were a competitor shooting an XD in Production with an extended magazine release, I would print that out and keep it in my range bag.

Edited by twodownzero