Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting a CZ to SAO for ESP?

blind bat

Would it be legal to convert a CZ from DA to SAO for use in ESP only. I only shoot my CZ's cocked and locked so I never use the DA mode. Converting to SAO involves changing the trigger and removing the disconnector from the hammer. If this is legal, do I need to use a stock CZ SA part or can I use the flat trigger offered by CZ custom?

After searching and not finding anything I sent an email to HQ a couple of weeks ago but have yet to hear back.

BB,

Your CZ can be shot cocked & locked, or DA. You want to remove the DA mode, correct?

Why? Do you accidentally use DA mode? Does it improve the trigger pull? What is the motivation?

Does removing DA mode remove or disable any safeties?

Page 22 permitted ESP Modifications (of interest):

3. Internal accuracy work (includes: replacement of the barrel

with one of factory configuration, the use of Accu-Rails, the

use of Briley Bushings).

4. Internal reliability work.

12. Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger

pull (includes the use of over travel stop).

I don't see "disabling some operating modes" on this list of allowed modifications, but perhaps it could be viewed as fitting into one of the categories listed above, if appropriate. Does it fit any of these categories?

Koski

Steve Koski of the Gun Dudes, I presume. What a great podcast. Kudos.

After buying the 75 (short dust cover) Shadow and my mentor/instructor reached into his safe and dragged out his old IPSC open gun. A Witness with a custom SA trigger and no firing pin block. The trigger break and reset were just like the Shadow but it didn't have the take up (due to the missing disconnector). It felt very much like a nice 1911 trigger. Of course that ruined it for me and I then really wanted the SA trigger. I never use the DA trigger and I'm never going to carry this gun so the lack of DA isn't an issue provided the gun stays legal for ESP.

Long story short, it falls under #12. However, my concern was "hammer and trigger action parts" but not specifically the trigger. So much of the IDPA rules require that the external appearance of the gun remain stock. I would assume the trigger counts as a "trigger action part" but I wanted to make sure changing to the custom trigger wouldn't be an issue since it's obviously a gamer part.

DSC_0001.3.JPG

Edited by blind bat

Steve Koski of the Gun Dudes, I presume. What a great podcast. Kudos.

Koski is Pod People????

Ahhh....

Hmmmmm.....

Hints and clews fall into place.....

All of a sudden, it all makes sense.....:goof:

• 2 weeks later...

Blindbat, I'm looking to do the same thing and to a man everyone I've asked says it'd be legal to make the new 75 Shadow SAO and have it be legal for ESP. The flat trigger is legal the same way the competition hammer is, it's offered on a related production model (CZ-75 SA Target) so we're GTG.

Why make a no-FPB DA/SA CZ an SAO? Less than 3mm total trigger travel: about 1.5mm to break, 1mm reset... so nice it's scary.