Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training specific workout?

jaggy13

Shooting has always been a passion of mine,

In the last year I have decided to start shooting competitions to improve my skills and have fun doing something I love. (I'm sure I'm in good company here!)

With my personality or the current economy or whatever new shinny thing sparks my interest I am constantly battling for time. Just getting a workout in to try and maintain my current weight is sometimes too much to ask, not to mention trying to do some dry fire exorcises or draws or whatever.

(Just showing up and shooting middle of the pack isn't going to cut it. I want to be the best I can or see what I am capable of)

I was thinking about some of the other workouts out there that combine martial arts and cardio, Is there anything already out there that combines competitive shooting skills and a decent workout?

I'm not talking about jogging around the neighborhood with my gear strapped on and drawing and dry-firing on every dog and baby stroller I come across!

Anything specific you guys do to train specifically for shooting sports?

Or is it as simple as stay in shape, have a good mind set and train the muscle memory separately.

I was gonna say jog around the neighborhood, and draw/aim at every dog and baby stroller, but... :roflol:

Seriously, I just jog to keep cardio good. Shooting/dryfire practice is seperate.

Glad someone gets my sense of humor... heh

Yeah, crossfit and p90 were actually what I was thinking of combined with shooting specific movements.

I know for my golf game I target mostly core and flexibility, the rest is all mental focus oriented.

Just curious what others are using and if there was something to make dual purpose of my limited time.

++P90.

Aerobics workout: Stretching, Yoga, ploy-metrics, kempo, Abs. 40-45 mins done.

Strength workout: Stretching, large muscle group circuit training, lunges, squats. 35- 40 mins done.

Like any thing you need to plan your workout and dry fire training into you daily schedual, otherwise you will not get it done and something will always get in the way. Make the commitment and do it.

MDA

I know I'm going to get the flaming of a lifetime for this, but I really think you need to assess your current physical conditioning before deciding where to start in fitness program. If you aren't already at an intermediate fitness level (we'll call it, able to run 2 miles nonstop in less than 17 minutes, 40 push-ups and 50 sit-ups in less than 2 minutes and able to do 6 dead-hang chin-ups) I'd say you don't need to start with crossfit or P90x. While these programs are scalable novice athletes often have a difficult time judging the correct levels and it leads to injuries or extreme soarness (DOMS). Both of these programs are high intensity and poor for will cost you greatly. I'm not saying it can't be done, but if you decide to go this route initially go to a certified crossfit trainer and let him/her develop the program for you.

I would recommend low impact cardio and body weight exercises for the first couple of weeks. If you have access to an elliptical try 15-20 minutes at a moderate pace 3 days a week along with 3 sets of pushups and situps. Do not go to muscle failure the first week, this will lead to DOMS and often causes people to stop working out all together. Stop when you notice your pace slowing down. After a couple of weeks start a walk/run program until you can run two miles nonstop at a 8.5 minute to 9 minute mile pace.

Just start slow and work your way up. Try different programs, everyone is different. I switch back and forth between crossfit and more traditional resistance training. I still run between 3 and 7 miles regularly because my run performance suffers under crossfit. However I know a couple of marathon runners that don't run over 2 miles and use crossfit almost solely as their training program. My body just doesn't work that way. If I do just crossfit I'm lucky to run 3 miles in 24 minutes.

The standard message I preach to clients (which I got from a crossfit certification) is mechanics > consistency > intensity.

What that means is when you are starting the most important thing to focus on is proper execution of the exercises you are doing. This is usually done with no weight to light weight depending on the individual's physical and psychological tolerances. After you have the mechanics down, I want you to be consistent with both the execution of the movements and the frequency of your workouts for a month at least. After you have those things down, we start to increase the intensity.

My question would be, why is medium distance "cardio" better than strength training scaled within your capabilities?

I think most people that don't like cross fit have several misconceptions regarding what is and is not "crossfit."

Crossfit is about fundamental safe movements being executed at high intensity. This is not necessarily timed as there are many ways to establish intensity in workouts. Crossfit is also not the main page workouts. The main page is but one expression of the idea. It is not the end all be all.

I'm a crossfitter and I don't follow the main page.

lee,

totally understand what you are saying. I'm a very athletic person and stay in decent shape just by doing my normal hobbies. winter moths I join a gym becaus snow on the ground limits my golf, mountain biking and rock climbing. Time is what I dont have.

I was mostly curious if someone had put toghter a workout that was shooting specific. something that incorporated fatigue and muscle memory.

Just a crazy thought I had.

Thanks for all the replies!

My question would be, why is medium distance "cardio" better than strength training scaled within your capabilities?

I'm not necessarily saying it is, I'm saying it's a good starting point for a novice with no experience or instruction from a trainer.

I think most people that don't like cross fit have several misconceptions regarding what is and is not "crossfit."

I'm not certified, but I've been doing crossfit for 3 years with certified trainers, so I have a "clue". I've done quite a few other "combat" fitness programs and they all have their pluses and minuses.

Crossfit is about fundamental safe movements being executed at high intensity. This is not necessarily timed as there are many ways to establish intensity in workouts. Crossfit is also not the main page workouts. The main page is but one expression of the idea. It is not the end all be all.

I agree, and to the novice athlete with no instruction they will not understand this.

I'm a crossfitter and I don't follow the main page.

neither do I. That's why I recommend going to a trainer if they have little experience. All of this is apparently now a moot point since the OP isn't a couch potato. Crossfit is a great program, but it isn't the only one out there. I just get tired of seeing it preached as the absolute gospel. Just like guns and calibers I think people should try out different things and go with what works for them.

... waiting for the next flame.

lee,

totally understand what you are saying. I'm a very athletic person and stay in decent shape just by doing my normal hobbies. winter moths I join a gym becaus snow on the ground limits my golf, mountain biking and rock climbing. Time is what I dont have.

I was mostly curious if someone had put toghter a workout that was shooting specific. something that incorporated fatigue and muscle memory.

Just a crazy thought I had.

Thanks for all the replies!

I personally don't have a specific program for USPSA, but I'm in better shape than 98% of the guys that shoot our local matches. I focus on combat fitness for running, rucking, Bradley Gunnery Skills Test, negotiating obstacles and carrying odd shaped heavy gear for no reason other than someone told me to do it. If I were to work on specific match type drills I'd focus on stop/go sprints, core, chest and back workouts and the cardio program of your choice. I don't consider cardio to be a big part of USPSA since most rarely go over 1 minute per stage although it will help overall health and controlling nerve/anxiety during a match if one is subject to that. Trail running would probably work well for that. Truthfully I just don't find this game physically demanding enough to warrant a specific program.

i've been looking into this for a while and have learned a thing or two. Here is what I know. Keeping in mind, I have a bad heart, bad back, weak knees and tore up ankles.

1. Crossfit and P90X are for those who are in shape and want to get into better shape. as a beginner and out of shape person, both of these are accidents waiting to happen.

2. Newby's need to start slow and work into it. whatever "it" is.same advise given everyone. I know as I get hurt every time I try something new.

3. for competition shooting, there are certain skills and abilities that will make a big improvement in match performance. they are( in no specific order):

a. be able to maintain energy levels through out the day,is crucial.

b. be able to explode out of a position in a controlled manner.

c. be able to stop quickly in a controlled manner.

d. be able to use burst of speed as needed and be able to slow and speed up without losing breathing control which affects trigger control.

e. be able to squat and shoot, move and shoot, kneel and shoot, get up and keep moving.

f. be able to go for the draw and aim in a quick controlled fashion.

whatever exercise program you use, think about those functions and what muscle groups have an effect. I work on thighs, glutes and core and arms, I use lots of resistance bands. Granted I'm still a fat guy, but i'm working on it. A good place to start is with Tony Horton's 10 minute trainer.