Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady progressive LNL question

The reason why I ask is my Dillon 650 uses the up stroke to seat the primer so it is important for the bench to either be heavy or attached to the floor or wall to prevent it from lifting.

The pictures shown below are of the setup I had when I lived in NY. I had the stand wedged against the ceiling to keep it from moving on the up stroke

dillonfour.jpg?t=1293088202

Dillonone.jpg?t=1293088202

Dillonthree.jpg?t=1293088202

Dillontwo.jpg?t=1293088202

I got my Hornady today and am watching the DVD and it looks like everything happens on the down stroke so it may not be as important to keep the press from lifting up on the up stroke. I am considering using a spare bedroom as a reloading room instead of the garage and knowing, I am at the end of the DVD and it looks like the only thing the up stroke does is rotate the shell plate on the up stroke, am I correct?

PS don't laugh at my set up it was the best I could do with the little space I had

Edited by silvercorvette

The primer is seated when the ram comes down or, if you prefer, when the handle is up. The LNL indexes on the ram going up and when its coming down. The case feed slider moves forward while the ram is descending and it moves back to pickup a case while the ram is moving up. Ditto for the primer slide. There are several things happening any time the handle is being operated and any press benefits from a sturdy mount. I use a desk but have not anchored it to the wall. Several friends have their setups anchored to the wall and the bench bolted to the floor.

YMMV. Try it and see.

Paul

how do you like it compared to the 650?

I haven't put it together yet, I ordered it with .45 ACP shell plate which is on back order, Plus the case and bullet feeder are on back order, I also ordered a 5.7 shell plated which will take time. The holidays plus the missing components have slowed me down.

I've got both, they are peers, keep your XL650 you have already spent the money.

I haven't bought one yet..but after doing the math it seems that after you purchase case feeder I belive the hornady ends up a few dollars more. Does the case feeder come with a plate?

I've got both, they are peers, keep your XL650 you have already spent the money.

I haven't bought one yet..but after doing the math it seems that after you purchase case feeder I belive the hornady ends up a few dollars more. Does the case feeder come with a plate?

I have been away from reloading for a over 3 years, when I was ready to start again I wanted to reload the FN 5.7X28 which isn't supported by Dillon so I started looking at other companies and eventually wound up with the Hornady because they will allow you to custom order a plate for the AP press ($130 ouch). I also bought some guns in different calibers and the LnL system makes change overs cheaper.

I was 100% happy with my Dillon 650 and if they offered a shell plat for the 650 I never would have looked into other brands

Someone from the Dillon company was very helpful and explained why he don't support the caliber. I understand the reason and understand that companies have to make business decisions we don't like but I was determined to reload the 5.7 even if I had to buy another press. I am considering selling the 650 but may change my mind and keep both presses. I won't make a final decision until I have the Hornady up and running

Be prepared for a learning curve on the LnL. Start with out a casefeeder, start with out the PTX die. Keep it simple. Even though they tell you the indexing is set at the factory double check it and make sure it's right. I just switched from a 550 to the LnL and the machines are very different. It's taking some time to get my "dillon ways" out of me and adjust to the LnL. I think the interchangeable bushing are really sweet at times and at other times they seem to get in the way. I think thats mostly me getting used to the machine. I also don't like any of the lock rings on those bushing EXCEPT the dillon 1 inch. They make the bushings a lot easier to use. With some rings you only have 2 places you can get to the die lock ring. Thats a PITA on any toolhead but even worse on a bushing that rotates 30degrees when you take it off and on or try and adjust them in some way (they loosen when you break the nut free naturally). I finally just switch all the dies over to the Dillon rings today and I am much happier. Also, don't forget to degrees that powder measure before you use it. It's packed with oil in places you don't want oil. Good luck. Take it slow and enjoy the new press. It's really nice in some ways.

. Also, don't forget to degrees that powder measure before you use it. It's packed with oil in places you don't want oil. Good luck. Take it slow and enjoy the new press. It's really nice in some ways.

They emphasize that on the utube video and on the DVD that comes with the machine. I am going to start setting it up soon but I can't do anything till I get the shell plate. The .45 ACP plate is on backorder and I tried ordering some more plates from Midway but there were some problems with the Midway site this afternoon

Also, Don't forget to call Hornady and get a shim for under the powder measure to keep it from turning. The shim fits UNDER the o-ring.

Steve

Can you be more specific on this Powder does caster a bit and the linkage is just holding it you have something else?

Ian

Also, Don't forget to call Hornady and get a shim for under the powder measure to keep it from turning. The shim fits UNDER the o-ring.

Steve

Can you be more specific on this Powder does caster a bit and the linkage is just holding it you have something else?

Ian

On some peoples presses the Powder measure bushing will start to loosen. They will give you a shim to put under the o-ring to tighten up the powder measure bushing a little.

They recently added a powder measure limiting setup to the LnL standard.

DSC_3465.jpg

Thanks

I saw Jeffs turnbuckle and liked the idea for the PTX but I prefer the Powderfunnel it has worked great and once it's set you don't need to adjust it with Caliber changes.

Didn't know about the Shim mine does loosen a trace but it's never more then that.

Ian