Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Combat Commander in 9mm

doc540

Been reading a lot here, and it appears one of the fundamental facts of reloading is "different guns respond differently to the same load".

Just bought a SDB and, today, ordered the digital scale and case gauge from the BE store.

I'm new to IDPA and have only shot 115 gr WWB through my Commander. (I don't know if that's considered "snappy" recoil since it's all I've ever shot.)

Do you recommend I buy several weight bullets and experiment with them using different powder loads?

Or should I use one standard powder load with different bullet weights?

And, don't worry, I have a local, experienced reloader to look over my shoulder.

My goal is accuracy, consistency, and long-term service from my Commander.

thanks!

Edited by doc540

I may not be the best source, but I would say to pick a generally suitable powder and do at least your first round of trials with different bullets. You can't use the same powder LOADS with different bullet weights, but you can use an appropriate load of the same powder with many different bullets. I like HP38(Win 231) for standard 9mm but there are a lot of others to choose from.

I find the heavier bullets to have "softer" recoil at the same power factor.

I still have some 147 grain Hornady RNBT but they are rather expensive unless you catch their "blems" on sale.

I am now loading 135 grain moly coated Billy Bullets which I like because they are roundnose for good feeding, unlike the usual run of 147 grain cast which are mostly flatpointed.

The next time I feel experimental, I will load some 124 grain bullets because you can make minor power factor and still be subsonic. I think the CRACK! of a subsonic or transsonic bullet like a 115 grain 9mm is a good part of the felt recoil.

I am certainly not an expert. I picked 124 grain JHP from Montana Gold because several people I shoot with use them. I also did a little survey of the group and picked their favorite powder and recipe and use it. I am real happy with both and saved a lot of time experimenting.

thanks,

George

Thanks, that's the kind of advice I was looking for.

I wasn't sure if the 9mm Commander might be a wildcard in the equation.

Just posted "want to buy" in the classifieds so I can get a handful of bullets to experiment with.

Edited by doc540