Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

winchester small rifle primers

sauza45

I am going to start loading 9mm for a glock 34 and I was wondering if you can load with WSR primers instead of WSP primers.

I have about 30,000 WSR and a lot of N320 and was going to use the N320 with MG 147 bullet, just not sure of the primers.

The load will be for Production Division so I want to make about 132-135 pf.

I am going to start loading 9mm for a glock 34 and I was wondering if you can load with WSR primers instead of WSP primers.

I have about 30,000 WSR and a lot of N320 and was going to use the N320 with MG 147 bullet, just not sure of the primers.

The load will be for Production Division so I want to make about 132-135 pf.

Yes, SR primers are either harder or have a thicker cup (or both) than SP primers, so you don't want to use them with extremely light loads, but for what you're doing, they should be fine. If the pressure isn't high enough, the primer won't fully seal in the primer pocket, and gas will escape around it, cutting the breachface, but 9 Minor with a fast powder and heavy bullet (like you're proposing) is fairly high pressure and should seal just fine.

Try a few hundred, check that the primers show a normal amount of flattening, and no evidence of gas leakage, check the breachface to make sure there's not circular mark around the firing pin hole showing the start of erosion, and you should be set.

Obviously there are some lot variations with any powder, but I'm loading 3.7gr of N320 under a MG 147CMG at 1.125" with a WSP primer, and it has consistently averaged 137PF in my M&P Pro (5") and a touch higher in my buddy's G34. It's extremely soft in both guns (as well as in a G17), runs 100% and takes down steel with authority. I wouldn't recommend going much lower on the PF as you can run into reliability problems when you drop down under 135PF with some G34 setups. The funny/nice thing is that it's clearly softer feeling than Atlanta Arms' 147gr load, and that was only 132/133PF. R,

Thank for all the help I will load up some starting a little low to chrono with the WSR. Maybe 3.5 and 3.7 and see where I am at.

Once I get the load I will run 200 to 300 and see how thay look. Rolex I load 40 for Limited so I need the primers, That is why I have

so many and a lot of N320