Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI-Para mag interchangeability?

E Mont

Is this possible? I have had a Para 9x23 race gun with mags. I just picked-up a 38 Super TruBor w/o mags. The Para mags seem to lock in as though they were made for the STI. No shots fired yet, but wondering if this is commonly known and I have just missed it ... or if this is 'too good to be true'.

This is my first night with the two together so my only physical test is -

1) slam the mags home ... and they locked in place (in the TB)

2) load some ammo in the Para mags, lock them into the TB, and cycle the slide as fast as I can. ... 100% cycle.

The STI passed both tests with flying colors. The magazine catch cut-out does appear larger on the STI than the Para mags so maybe they should be given a bit more height, but I know it is safer to ask first. And I think the Para mags were made by STI or SV originally.

So what is the verdict?

(And before I forget - "Thanks!" to all for the many hours of informative, enjoyable reading over the years. This is one GREAT site 'BE' has sponsored!)

~ E Mont

Hello

This is the first time I've heard of Para mags compatibility with an STI frame ! Every Para shooter in 38S or 40 I know has used STI mags at one time ("STI for Para" or true STI mags lightly modified).

Seems to me that you have passed the basic tests, let us know whether live firing confirms this...

Cheers

I used STI, non-modified mags in my Para Open pistol for quite a while without problems. I had a new slide installed and those mags started to have problems feeding. The slide would not strip the top round off the mag. I tried new springs, mag feed lips, etc. I eventually added a little metal to the mag release to get the mags to sit a little higher in the frame and everything worked well.

So I would say STI mags work in Para frames sometimes, but modifications can be made to make troubled ones work.

I have used an unmodified SV mag in a para with good results and others have told me the same about STI tubes. They just sits a bit lower than the para mags. I am guessing that the para mags will just sit a bit higher in your STI. If they do not drag on the slide, you should be good to go!

Later,

Chuck

I just modified a stock STI tube to work in my Para last night. I TIG welded in metal on the release notch to lower the engagement point - thus making the mag sit higher in the frame. Now I have a 170mm mag :devil:

So for your Para mag in an STI, it sits higher than an standard STI mag - so look for proper clearance of the ejector to the magaizine feed lips as well as the brass for the top round. If you have OK clearance in those areas it should be OK.

Edited by jid2