Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SLP Barrel Mismarked?

Firetoad

I have a standard 18" SLP that I just received a spare SLP MkI 22" barrel with 3" chamber, etc., etc. from Arizona Gun Runners. Of course, lucky me, the fiber optic rod in the front sight was toast. Looks like the UPS M1 Abrams took care of the package for me. Now, the really interesting part is that the barrel is marked INVECTOR PLUS, but it is definitely bored for a standard INVECTOR choke tube. The part number that I ordered and that was on the actual FN packaging is 3088929500. The part number is correct for what I ordered and everything is correct with the barrel except for the choke marking. I don't see any problem with the barrel, other than the broken fiber optic rod. Any insight from anyone on this? Anyone seen this before?

That's strange....

As I understand it, the SLP "tactical"-type barrels are supposed to be Invectors. The Vent Rib guns (the more "sporty" barrels) are supposed to be Invector Plus, because the barrels are actually back-bored to .742 on the sporty guns, just like the Winchester SX-3s.

Well, the barrel has other issues. The bore of the barrel is not fully honed all of the way to the end when approaching the shoulder in the bore for the choke tube. There is a decent sized rough patch that will definitely cause fouling issues in my opinion. I initially thought that it was just some manufacturing/packing grease or the like, but I couldn't have been that lucky.

Anyway, AGR asked me to contact FN first for a warranty return/exchange since they are only a distributor for them. So, I called the general CS number that AGR forwarded me and had to leave a voice message. Hopefully they are quick in response. This stinks when you pay over $300 for a new barrel!

Oh well, wouldn't want things to be too easy or life would be boring.

Edited by Firetoad

The company you bought the barrrel from should exchange it for you. It is defective and that should be thier problem with the manufacturer not yours. You ordered a new barrel in good faith and received a defective barrel return it to AGR. If you charged it on a credit card dispute the charge if they are not willing to take it back. This is typical of some companies today, pass the buck instead of standing behind what you sell.

The company you bought the barrrel from should exchange it for you. It is defective and that should be thier problem with the manufacturer not yours. You ordered a new barrel in good faith and received a defective barrel return it to AGR. If you charged it on a credit card dispute the charge if they are not willing to take it back. This is typical of some companies today, pass the buck instead of standing behind what you sell.

+1

+1

I don't disagree with you guys, but this is the process that they stated they required. Basically, they offered that if FNH falls through, then they will step in. AGR is rather adamant that they are primarily a large scale wholesaler/distributor and discourage returns. I knew this buying from them, but I had heard decent things about them and they had the barrel I was wanting in stock. So, I ordered anyway. But, at the same time, if they don't wish to deal with this aspect of it, maybe they should not allow individual sales. Who knows!

Regardless, I am stuck in the process as outlined. If all else fails, I will likely see one of the FN team shooters this next weekend at a "Fun Shoot" and can ask them about it.

Edited by Firetoad

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick status update...

I was contacted by FNH customer service directly after being unable to contact them, complaining to Az Gun Runners, them emailing Mark Hanish and Mark Hanish contacting their service department. Their service department was very apologetic, explained that there are only two of them and they were backed up with service, vacations and the like. I completely understand and don't fault them. Just bad timing and luck for me. Talking with them though, it sounded like I would be able to send the barrel in and just get a warranty replacement. The barrel was logged in my FNH service on December 21st and is listed as requiring and waiting for warranty repair: new front sight and polish barrel bore. I like the FNH people, they are all very nice, whether FNH team shooters or employees. But, haven't been overly thrilled with my purchase of a SLP barrel thus far from AGR.

So, hopefully I will get a repaired (although mismarked and would stink for any possible resale in the future) barrel or a new barrel sooner or later. Maybe, just maybe, I will get the barrel I paid for back in November before the two month mark. Will keep the thread updated.

Edited by Firetoad

• 1 month later...

Just yet another update for everyone's general knowledge...

Well, finally, as of today, the FNHUSA Customer Service Lookup Webpage has the replacement barrel status as complete and ready to ship. Not sure how much longer, but hopefully not too much longer as we are approaching the 2-1/2 month mark since I first ordered an in stock barrel. Oh well, live and learn I guess.