Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 VComp

buckaroo45

OK, I give up! What loads can get the compensator on a 627 VComp to do it's magic. I see Jerry M shoots one for Steel that's almost flat. Anybody got an idea how he does it?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

OK, let me try this again. I have no visions of shooting like Jerry but at 64 yrs old I'm trying things I always wanted to before I no longer can. What I'm after is a .38/.357 load that makes the comp work on the 627 VCOMP revolver. I have a 627 Pro that I shoot steel using Doug Cardens' 3.6 gr TiteGroup w/ 125 gr RN mouse fart load. What I'm considering is moving to the 627 VCOMP w/ a Carmoney or Apex rework but I can't find any load data that makes me think the compensator will actually do anything. I'm beginning to suspect use of the VCOMP for our game has little to do with the features; i.e. compensator isn't comping, longer 5" site radius doesn't matter because I'll be using optics, ball detent cylinder latch benefit is mininsule to my hands, trigger work will be custom, etc. Not much left to convince me to invest $1200+ and another several hundred to get it the way I would want. I've about talked myself out of this project unless somebody here has something I haven't considered. Glad I didn't impulse buy one.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The time is coming when those who kill you will think they are offering service to God - John 16.2

"The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)

porting the barrel would do you a lot of good if your goal is flat shooting. the V comp at the end of the barrel does little good on the flatness because pressures have already begun to effect the gun way before the gases are ported out of the end of the barrel....

i shoot 3.5 grains of solo in a short colt case with 160 grain billy bullet...

buckaroo: The reason (and in my view, the only reason) to get a V-Comp gun is that you have shot one and satisfied yourself that you like that heavier barrel and the slightly more muzzle-heavy feel it creates. You're correct that the actual factory comp is pretty much useless on one of those things with ICORE loads at 120 p.f. Hell, my own V-Comp I have set up for ICORE Open has the solid thread protector installed instead of the comp, if that tells you anything. Otherwise, you could mount a C-More on any 8-shot 627, even the value-priced 4" Pro Series version, and have an excellent gun for ICORE Open or steel shooting that will be just as accurate and just as shootable.

Thanks to all for your observations. Mike anchored then torpedoed this concept. His comment about muzzle heavy had bells going off in my head. Some time back when I got into USPSA and evolved into revolvers I had 2 625's. A 4" and a 5". I sold off the 5" because the 4" felt better. Diabetic neuropathy is a cruel bastard when you've used your hands all your life to make a living. 'Nuff said on the 627 VCOMP. Y'all can lock this thread 'cause I'm done with it. Lord willing I'll see ya again at the National Steel Shoot at Titusville, FL in 2011. Thanks again for saving me all the loot. :cheers:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ideally you should always practice with one eye closed, standing on your weak side leg, shooting weak hand only.

Then when you get to a match, everything else seems easy. - some guy from Dallas

OK, I give up! What loads can get the compensator on a 627 VComp to do it's magic. I see Jerry M shoots one for Steel that's almost flat. Anybody got an idea how he does it?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Ever shake hands with Jerry?

I have had some good luck with 6+ true blue in a LC case with a 130 grain Montana Gold .356 bullet in my ported 627 V-comp. Work up to it.

Edited by underlug

Jerry's no muscleman, he simply knows how to shoot. Every successful revolver action shooter has learned how to use a hard hold on the gun. Wheelguns don't reciprocate. There is nothing driving the front of the gun back down and forward. 100% of the recoil and muzzle flip has to be absorbed by the shooter's bone structure and musculature. You can't do well when you "pussy-hold" the gun.

Now here's a secret, but don't let anybody else know......shhhhhhh.......

A good hard hold works for auto-pistols, too!! :o