Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 short colt in SSR

steel1212

Is it a waste to try and do this? You would loose some of your brass but since most of it is dumped in a little pile I would think you would get most of it back.

I think there has been a discussion in IDPA and Using 38 short colts are not allowed in the 357/ 38 special Revos. That and the Brass is sort of expensive to loose 20% every time you shoot. Just my thoughts as I lose quite abit in USPSA when using speedloaders. And I have also found that you would need to load to at least 38 super lengths (OAL) to get reliable loading with the speedloaders. Good Luck Later rdd

It's a no go in IDPA per the new revisions...

5. Enhanced Service Revolver Division (ESR)

Additional language to A. page 24

A. Be any revolver of 9mm caliber (.355” or larger) or

larger bore diameter utilizing rimmed or rimless

cartridges, which may safely make a power factor of

165,000. The use of trimmed (shortened) ammunition is

not allowed. Ammunition used must match the caliber

listed on the gun. The only exceptions would be: .38

special in .357 magnum, 9mm in .38 super, 40S&W in

10mm, 44 special in .44 magnum.

Edited by Merlin Orr

I have never tried 38 short brass, seems like a good idea in theory. Some folks can get mighty good results with 38 special cases though and a blown reload will set you back regardless of brass length. I say focus on technique with brass that is easily replaced.

Edited by nashvillebill

Here's an older answer from Robert Ray.

detonicscustom Re: 38 short colt #3 [-]

(01/24/08 16:01:26)

ReplyQuoteMore

I will give a little input here and say that if your gun is a factory .38 Short Colt, you can shoot it. If it is a .38 special or .357 magnum you can not use it and if you do, you run the risk of an FTDR.

The reasoning is that .38 short colt is uncommon today and the only reason to use it would be to gain a competitive advantage on reloads. The rule on this can be found on page 8, C1 and C2 of the rule book.

I hope this helps.

Robert Ray

IDPA HQ

Why would you loose brass...can you say MOONCLIP. I shot a 627 V-Comp and started shooting 38 SC five months ago... Love It. I use the TK Custom clips and had awesome luck with them. :cheers:

Edited by Lone Star Hydro

Why would you loose brass...can you say MOONCLIP. I shot a 627 V-Comp and started shooting 38 SC five months ago... Love It. I use the TK Custom clips and had awesome luck with them. :cheers:

Moon clips are obviously not allowed in SSR.

Missed the SSR part........... :huh:

5. Enhanced Service Revolver Division (ESR)

Additional language to A. page 24

A. Be any revolver of 9mm caliber (.355” or larger) or

larger bore diameter utilizing rimmed or rimless

cartridges, which may safely make a power factor of

165,000. The use of trimmed (shortened) ammunition is

not allowed. Ammunition used must match the caliber

listed on the gun. The only exceptions would be: .38

special in .357 magnum, 9mm in .38 super, 40S&W in

10mm, 44 special in .44 magnum.

Guess that answers that :cheers:

It's allowed in ICORE, though. :cheers:

I recall Bones feeling SC might actually be too short, though... if the COAL was too short, there wouldn't be much of the round inserted when they're released from the speedloader, and may end up on the ground instead. Might be workable fixed if the center plunger inside the speedloader were trimmed back, though. <_<

I just started using a 200gr LRN bullet in Long Colt brass. Best of both worlds. Because of the 200gr bullet, the OAL is the same as my SSR load, but being heavier, they just drop in a little easier. And since the cases are shorter, they eject easier.

A short time ago when I did the postal match Icore here in Italy, I fired the second day and I saw many 357 brass on the ground cut to 38 short colt.

I knew they were the ones used by those who came first and second in the classic division.

Surely, however, are good shooters, but it would be nice if it were banned so as not to benefit those who cut the brass but only the skill of the shooter.

What do you think?

A short time ago when I did the postal match Icore here in Italy, I fired the second day and I saw many 357 brass on the ground cut to 38 short colt.

I knew they were the ones used by those who came first and second in the classic division.

Surely, however, are good shooters, but it would be nice if it were banned so as not to benefit those who cut the brass but only the skill of the shooter.

What do you think?

I would thinking cutting them would be illegal to right your going below factory specs.

What do you think?

It is quite abit involved in cutting (to the correct deminsions) Brass down. Whereas you gain a benefit from the shorter brass it is a tradeoff down the line. In ICORE and IPSC/USPSA it good that we experiment with different ideas. That is one way we gather better info and thus push the envelope to what we can achieve. But it always comes down to the Indian, not the arrows. The more you work at it the better you may become. Just my thoughts. Good luck and good shooting. Later rdd

I've cut a few cases down just to see how they worked. I used my RCBS case trimmer, really worked well for it. Wouldn't want to do it by hand though. I think they're too short for speed loaders, for me anyway. I fumble enough as it is. Moonclipped though, that would be cool for steel and Icore.

post-13722-025016100 1291590994_thumb.jp

It's allowed in ICORE, though. :cheers:

I recall Bones feeling SC might actually be too short, though... if the COAL was too short, there wouldn't be much of the round inserted when they're released from the speedloader, and may end up on the ground instead. Might be workable fixed if the center plunger inside the speedloader were trimmed back, though. <_<

I just started using a 200gr LRN bullet in Long Colt brass. Best of both worlds. Because of the 200gr bullet, the OAL is the same as my SSR load, but being heavier, they just drop in a little easier. And since the cases are shorter, they eject easier.

Copy cat, wonder where you got the idea???????????????????