Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

m&p 40 for limited gun

cv1911

Hi i am new to this forum. I have just started shooting in uspsa matches. It has only been in singal stack for now. I want to go to limited 10 and more so limited. I have a m&p 40 4.25 that I want to start in limited. My question is will this gun be ok ? If it works out I was going to get a pro 40 . How are the m&p s working out in Competition ? Would I be beter off with a different gun ? All info would be helpfull.

Thank you Chad

Edited by cv1911

You might want to check out taylor freelance, I think they are making mag extensions for the M&P now. Glocks have more parts to add, but if you are new, and used to the M&P, shoot it. When you are ready to move up you will know. If you have money to burn, talk to one of the smiths on here to build you an S_I. YOu can shoot limited 10 for now and as you get some magazine extensions switch to limited.

In short your gun will be fine, is there something better, yup. :P

By the way, welcome to the forum! Look around, some of the best advice you will get here is "spend your money on ammo", you have to be really good to make equipment matter that much.

Speed Shooters Specialties can help you out in limited. The longer sight radius of the Pro wouldn't hurt but you can work with what you have. I run 20rnds in my mags with the Taylor Freelance bases so round count will not be an inhibitor.

If you really enjoy single stack and a 1911 trigger, you would probably be very happy with a 2011 Limited gun. Yes, an M&P 40 can make a great production (soft, minor load), limited 10 and/or limited gun, but the weight, balance and feel of a 2011 is hard to beat. I know a bunch of people that have been very happy with a Para double stack limited rig that can be found for about $1200 with 4-5 mags. S_I is definitely more pricey, but worth the money IMHO.

Welcome to the forums. Like NoSteel said, if sticking with M&P, the folks at SSS are awesome. Just give them a ring and they can talk you through all the tricks.

If you want to try limited without sinking serious dollars into equipment, your M&P40 will let you do that.

Assuming you have holster and stuff, a pair of Taylor Freelance 140mm extenders will let you run with 19 to 20 plus 1 in your gun.

For a little more cash, you could get a metal magwell from SSS and couple more extenders to complete your setup.

BTW what I described above is basically my econo-limited blaster, when I stray from Revo or Production.