Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is a chrono and timer required equipment?

Mike in CT

Hello all,

so I have been shooting and reloading for about a year. I have competed at the local IDPA matches and practice events, as well as some steel shooting.

From everything I read it sounds like a chrono and timer should be my next purchases.

Is it basically required to have a chrono to reload for competition and if so, what is a good one to buy?

I am shooting 9mm minor and maybe some 40SW

Thanks

Mike

Unless you are going to load the minimum starting loads I would say a chrono is required. You do not have to own one, most of us have them and I am sure that someone would let you shoot through theirs if you made arrangements for it.

I would not lend mine out or let someone but me shoot through it unless I thought I needed a new chrono.

A good chrono that is easy to use is the pro chronos. The pal or digital model is all anyone needs and they are at about 100 dollars. Mine has always been within 2-3 powerfactors of majors I have shot.

A good chrono that is easy to use is the pro chronos. The pal or digital model is all anyone needs and they are at about 100 dollars. Mine has always been within 2-3 powerfactors of majors I have shot.

Big +1! Read this:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83582&view=findpost&p=966000&hl=&fromsearch=1

You need a chrono because not many folks like to lend them out for obvious reasons. I also feel you need a timer. The only way to tell if you are improving is to use a timer.

If you are going to do any dry or live fire practice a timer is essential. How else are you going to truly tell if you are improving or not? The game is composed of accuracy and speed. You can see your hits but how do you judge your time without a timer?

Pat

A timer for practice is extremely valuable. One of the best lessons it can teach you is just how long 30 sec really is.

As for a chrono, I'm not familiar with IDPA rules but (most/all) local USPSA matches don't check loads. If you are using a load that has been well documented by others as producing a certain fps, and that load is well within the manufactures min/max range, then you can be relatively secure in knowing that you are OK.

But, if you want to develop your own load and tweak it to your gun to work best for you, then a chrono is a great tool to have. But check around your club and friends to see if someone has one. Ask them to bring it to the range and help you check your loads.

most of us have over the yrs aquired a chrono, just because i dont like going minor at major events, i lend mine out, under supervision and with the statement of 'if it get shot it gets bought', they are a greattool to figure out if a new load is goingto make a certain PF...no guess work

as for timers, like was said, you can go thru this silly game sayingto yourself' that sounded fast' or....you can get a timer and actually see what it is you are doing both on and off target, seewhere you need improvment, its a greattool that is vastly underestimated

You need access to a chrono to make sure your load makes power factor, but once you get it set, you don't really need it until you change lots of powder. If you can borrow a friend's chrono for a week or two to work up a load, you can put off buying one. That's what I did, but now I'm going to start working on loading for 223, so I'm going to buy one.

Having your own timer for practice is essential IMO. Steve Anderson's book Refinement and Repetition plus a timer with a part time feature is probably the best practice tool investment you can make.

• 1 month later...

Both are very important to have. Check out the Pact MK IV which comes with the chrono program and you just buy the skyscreens.

I have the Pact IV with the chrono = its more than 20 years old, and just this year is when the chrono part is starting to give me problems

a few times I could go a year and only use it once or twice. or with new loads use it every weekend.

the Timer is 10 times as use-full and help full as a chrono so don't wait to get a timer.

when you are working new guns and loads the chrono will help you find the most consistent load. after that you may not use it for the rest of the year.

I use my chrono for rifle loads so that my long range data can be worked out .

If you can only use a friend's chrono while he/she's there at the range with you, load up 15 rounds with your favorite powder. 5 at the start grains, 5 at the never exceed grains, and 5 in the dead center of those two. record all your velocities or keep the printout if it's a fancy chrono. Plot it on Excel and fit a curve to it. Select "show equation on chart" and use it to determine a load just above PF. Load up 10 rounds and run it through the chrono again to be SURE it makes PF. That has worked for me since I don't own a chrono.

when you are working new guns and loads the chrono will help you find the most consistent load. after that you may not use it for the rest of the year.

+1 I used my chrono a few times a week while working on my production load. After that it sat in a box for a year. Now I will get it out to work up a new Open load and the same thing will probably happen.

That's why I didn't spend big money on a chrono.

Edited by Sarge