Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbine H Buffer in Rifle Stock

carbon9

While enjoying the Holiday downtime I put together another lower receiver with a Magpul PRS stock. After I was done I realized I don't have any rifle length buffers sitting around, only a carbine H buffer. I do have a JP rifle length buffer spring and a Tubbs spring(works with carbine or rifle buffer tubes)I can use. The upper is a 20 inch, rifle length non-adjustable gas with a Young MFG lightened bolt carrier. I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work. Please let me know if this would be a bad idea. I can wait until shipping resumes or stores open again on Monday if need be, I'm just hoping I won't have to.

Thank you,

g

No... Dont do it. This combination (carbine buffer is too short for the rifle buffer tube) will allow the bolt carrier to travel too far back when it cycles. The back of the gas key will probably impact the back of the lower.

This combination can be made to work however... What you must do is fabricate a spacer to go in the back of the rifle buffer tube. The spacer has to be long enough to fill the extra space in the rifle buffer tube to make it the same length inside as a carbine buffer tube. I have a rifle set up this way. I made the spacer out of nylon.

Edited by caspian guy

No... Dont do it. This combination (carbine buffer is too short for the rifle buffer tube) will allow the bolt carrier to travel too far back when it cycles. The back of the gas key will probably impact the back the lower.

This combination can be made to work however... What you must do is fabricate a spacer to go in the back of the rifle buffer tube. The spacer has to be long enough to fill the extra space in the rifle buffer tube to make it the same length inside as a carbine buffer tube. I have a rifle set up this way. I made the spacer out of nylon.

Thank you. I'll either build a spacer and use the Tubb's spring or a JP Carbine spring I have as well. :cheers:

edit: or wait and order a rifle buffer

Edited by fleshoid

If a person is wishing to put a carbine buffer in a rifle buffer tube.....you MUST do the following.

1)Use the carbine Buffer Spring

2)You need a plug that is .98" dia x 2.625" long

First, install the plug, followed by the spring, then the buffer.

Dimensionally, the Rifle buffer tube (inside) is 2.625" longer than a carbine buffer tube.

If you do not use a plug, your bolt carrier WILL smash into the back of the lower reciever, damaging it. It may also break and you could win a trip to the ER.

Tim

If a person is wishing to put a carbine buffer in a rifle buffer tube.....you MUST do the following.

1)Use the carbine Buffer Spring

2)You need a plug that is .98" dia x 2.625" long

First, install the plug, followed by the spring, then the buffer.

Dimensionally, the Rifle buffer tube (inside) is 2.625" longer than a carbine buffer tube.

If you do not use a plug, your bolt carrier WILL smash into the back of the lower reciever, damaging it. It may also break and you could win a trip to the ER.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for posting the dimensions for the spacer. :)

I was too lazy to pull mine out of the rifle it is in to measure it for him.