Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP magazine feed lips

buckaroo45

I've just spent some 2 hours trying to find the correct dimension between 1911 45 ACP feed lips. Searched every description I can think of both here and Google with nothing difinitive. I thought I saw .380-.385 some place but my 47D's run .383 - .390. I suspect it's here someplace but I just don't have the right search string. I'll bet somebody here knows either the dimension or the search string. At this point I'll take either one.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay

Great info, amp mangum and thanks to all for the input. I also got input from CMC via a buddy that said adjusting feed lips is a case of diminishing return on effort. Harder metals such as our mags are made of succumb to fatigue over repeated bending. Only makes sense. CMC also pointed out a factor I hadn't considered. Again relative to our style of shooting - slamming a loaded mag into a gun in slide lock leaves only the mag feed lips to retain the combined weight of 8+ rounds. Hell, I'd probably bend too. :surprise: I try not to get to slide lock but at 64 years old, in the heat of a stage, I miss and or lose count and I NEVER think of babying a mag to seat it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

“When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it." Adrian Rogers, 1931 - 2005

Set them to ~.420.

The link to the mag info, IMHO, is not very helpful and not correct in the dimensions.

As to leaving mags loaded making the feed lips spread ..... got a chuckle for sure... Any modern mag (read not peanut butter cheapo) will NEVER spread from spring pressure alone....

Feed lip widths for a 45acp should be between. 425-.435 inches.

If you want to go the max width I would suggest that you open them up a bit at a time and see how the follower fits. Going to the max will result in some followers trying to come out the top.

Pat