Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Birdshot - 7.5's vs 8's

grywlfbg

All,

So I have a problem (ok, well I have many problems but for now let's just focus on one :P). Due to poor planning on my part I have a local 3-gun match to shoot on Saturday and I'm out of birdshot. My tested birdshot is Winchester AA 1300fps 7.5's. These are flawless in my Saiga. Federal bulk pack 1200fps mostly work but I've had some FTE's in testing. These are the only loads (besides some Federal high-brass 6's and 4's that also work) that I have run through my gun.

I have access to the following:

Winchester AA 1300fps 8's

Remington Nitro 1300fps 7.5's

I will have some high-brass 6's (smallest shot size allowed for this match) for far steel though I'm guessing there won't be any steel beyond 35yds. So should I go with untested 7.5's or tested 8's?

Chris.. many people use 7/5s and 8s interchangeably. No difference.

Just make sure if you're used to 'AA's to stay with that, or AA Handicap, stay with that.

It seems like the STS shells are almost identical to AAs too. I wouldn't hesitate to use them in that match.

(or ask to borrow some from Chris or Dan - I have some.. but you'd have to swing by and pick them up - lol)

Tested, is always better to keep your brain away when you are shooting. the 7.5 over 8s is a long discussion about shot density and retained energy. I am not going to look it up, but as I remember 1-1/8 oz of #9 shot has 390 bbs in it and #7.5 has 240. ( I most likely do not remember rite so I will get corrected) = thats fine=

I am new to 3gun, but the mathematical theory would be the total energy placed on a target would be the equal to = ( the total number of shot that hits the target X the energy of each BB) knocking a piece off a flying clay requires less energy than knocking over a steel target.

So if 100 7.5bb hit a target , that would (in theory) be the same energy as 110 #8 bb

With good shells and a good choke both should be equal.

I still like 7.5 though

Edited by AlamoShooter