Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting USPSA with my S&W 625 JM

Right after my IDPA match, I joined a Production "Super-squad" to shoot USPSA and used my S&W 625 JM with James Austin's Moonclip server. I also decided to change my reloading technique to a weak hand reload to see if it works better for me. I messed up in some of the reloads as you can see and just need more practice to make it smoother. This reloaidng style was more violent on my hands too, one of the stages, I pushed on the ejector rod a little off angle and cut my fingers. I bled all over the place. To top it off, my sights were also 4-5" low and frustrated the heck out of me trying to shoot the plate rack.

Comment and advice appreciated!

Edited by robot

Learn to count to six.

Whenever you move reload. When you reload hit the extractor as hard as you can so that the moon jumps out of the gun so you don't have to hit it a second time.

Make sure you sight in before a match. You may have just been trying to see your hits as you shoot and moving the gun down during recoil.

Good speed.

Nice video. Given the number of fail to fire incidents that you had I would also suggest that you might try some Federal primers to reduce or eliminate that problem. I like the picture in picture format of the video, as it gives a better overall view of what is going on during the stages.

Thanks for the tips guys. Yes I'm using Federal Primers but I seat them well using my 550 (not hand primed). Most of the primers look like they're seated properly so I'm not sure why i'm still having light strikes. Perplexing. Trigger is set at 7-7.5lbs with a strain screw that's locked down tight. I also have the APEX Firing pin installed.

Maybe my primer flash holes were dirty or something, I have no idea how to check that unless I go check every single round. :(

This was the first time I'm using the weak hand reload so it's very inconsistent. I will practice more to get it smoothened out. The not sighting in is such a n00b fail that it's embarrassing!

If I recall correctly from watching you video (no access right now), I would suggest that you push the ejector rod prior to grabbing the new moonclip. It looks like you open the cylinder, grab the new moonclip, push the ejector rod to dump the used moonclip, and then load the new moonclip. I use speedloaders myself, but from watching others use moonclips the suggestion above appears to work well for them.

Thanks for the tips guys. Yes I'm using Federal Primers but I seat them well using my 550 (not hand primed). Most of the primers look like they're seated properly so I'm not sure why i'm still having light strikes. Perplexing. Trigger is set at 7-7.5lbs with a strain screw that's locked down tight. I also have the APEX Firing pin installed.

Maybe my primer flash holes were dirty or something, I have no idea how to check that unless I go check every single round. :(

This was the first time I'm using the weak hand reload so it's very inconsistent. I will practice more to get it smoothened out. The not sighting in is such a n00b fail that it's embarrassing!

Check the timing. I had same gun and same problem. Timing was off in three of my cyls. Are you certain you aren't short stroking? I have no idea how long you've been shooting revo so forgive the question.

• 1 month later...

Here's the latest Revolver Match from this Sunday. I think I'm getting slightly better at reloading. what do you think?

and a video I made of James (who made the James Austin Moonclip Server that I use) shooting. He's fast!

Robot,

Looking better, good for you !!!

the biggest thing I noticed was your strong hand shooting.

When shooting with the strong or weak hand if any way possible if right handed shoot from right to left. If left handed shoot from left to right. that allows the bigger muscles in the arm and shoulder to do the gun control. (your body is stronger pulling in vs pushing out).

Good luck, I'll see you at A-1 in june.

Hopalong

@hopalong, that is a GREAT point! I've always wanted to do it but I guess there were too many things happening at the same time that I forgot about it. I'll definitely do it next time. thanks!

see you at A-1 too! I'm definitely going!