Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any cut the lifter down on their SLP?

Nealio

I've heard of some guys cutting the lifter plate down so its shorter instead of welding it up. Has anyone done that here? If so do you have a picture? :)

- Nealio

Don't do that. Weld it or leave it pronged...I have mine pronged and can do a weak-hand reload for 8 shells in 7 or so seconds without losing my thumb. Just practice with it and you will get the technique down.

Cutting it may compromise functionality and contrary to popular belief, will not help your thumb that much.

HOWEVER, if you really want to cut it, here is the thread you couldn't find

Lift Gate Mods

Cutting FAIL

(it won't be the first thing in the post, but do some reading and it is all there...)

Edited by GorillaTactical

If you do want to cut a prong off.....take a look at post #32 on the 'lift gate mods' thread mentioned above. What I removed is ALOT.....and worked great, still works great. Not for the scwimish by any means....I've seen a really bad job done and it was not pretty (not that my mod is pretty). It is impossible to get my thumb stuck between the lifter and port...no more bandaids required. But, alas, I still like shooting my 20ga M2.

Word of warning.....NEVER remove the prong on the port side, like on the 'fail' thread....your shells will chuck out the loading port....OOPS.

Tim

I did, it works fine for me. I kept it symmetrical, and not slanted on the lifter. I also removed some of the mag tube (on bottom) and forearm.

Pics are on page 4 of th thread I think is titled: slp mods for 3 gun, in this forum.

Id post a link but I'm on my phone right now

edit:

I sat down with a lamp shining in there, and a shotshell on the lifter, and just watched as I slowly cylced the bolt back and forth, with the shell riding up the lifter into the chamber, I took notice of where the shell was actually touching, and cut there.

If you look down at the top of the lifter (where the shell would ride) there is a little "divit" for lack of a better word, where the lifter starts to get thinner as you progress toward the end. That is the last place on the FLOOR of the lifter that the shell touched while cycling. Seems that the reason it starts to get thin there is the lifter would be "in the way" if it stayed thick all the way out.

The shell does contact the side of the lifter (there is a little lip there on the right side), so no removal there.

I went:

1- angle grinder

2- dremel cutoff wheel

3- 220 grit paper

4- 400 grit paper

5- 600 grit paper

6- 1000 grit paper

7- 1500 grit paper

8- 6 inch buffer/polisher with green compound

This

post-11183-026312600 1290001070_thumb.jp

Edited by Kyle O