Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Powder Problem

I just started loading rifle rounds on my 550 after several years of loading ammo on 1050. (did it backwards)About one out of 6 or 7 rounds of ammo, the 223 brass case mouth catches inside the powder chamber somehow and dumps powder all over the place. Short of holding each case to guide it in, I can not figure out how to keep this from happening... Does anyone know the fix?

My first thought is, right shellplate? Are the brass buttons in? Is the tool head strait?

If it is a mfg error, then Dillon will make it right. Reason to go with blue in the first place. Could you post a photo/video?

It came from Dillon set up for 223 so I will check over everything to make sure there was not a mistake. Number three tabs...the 223 case is so small (does not sit straight up)it appears that if they enter the powder dispenser at a slight angle they will catch on the side on the way up and dump powder. It is on the way up powder is dumped.

Thanks for your input.

I load 223 on my 550 but haven't run into this problem. Has the right powder funnel? No burrs on the brass or shell plate?

If you pull the button out will the case stand straight up?

Should be shell plate 3, button 3 and powder funnel 44A.

Look at the base of the brass and see if there's a burr around the primer pocket that won't let the brass sit square on the shell plate. If you swagged the primer pockets may have a raised area or burr.

It really sounds like the shellplate bolt is not tight enough. Push down on the edge of the shellpalte between stations 2 and 3. If it feels springy, then the shellplate bolt needs to be tighter. Be sure the shellplate is marked "3", and that the number is on the top of the shellplate.

It really sounds like the shellplate bolt is not tight enough. Push down on the edge of the shellpalte between stations 2 and 3. If it feels springy, then the shellplate bolt needs to be tighter. Be sure the shellplate is marked "3", and that the number is on the top of the shellplate.

I only had time tonight to run 3 or 4 through and I had no problem. I had tightened the shellplate to about the same as my 1050s but it took more for the 550 to hold the brass straight up. Hopefully that is the fix. This is a great example of how this forum really helps all reloaders. I would have spent an hour or more trying to figure out what was wrong. Thanks for answering my post and thanks Brian!