Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting in the winter?

Maksim

Used to shoot all winter with several clubs. Now, it's March through October, normally, for the clubs that are left. Tomorrow's our last match of the season. We cancelled the match in March this year, because there was still 2 feet of snow on the range in mid-March, left over from the 4+ feet we got here during February.

Should get into the mid 50s tomorrow. B)

Winter is a good time to "chill" a bit with shooting. Need to stay fresh and taking things a little lighter during the cold months is healthy. Many of the pros say it's important to take some time off during the year. I shoot a few fun matches and try to work more on dry fire. I tend to play with different guns on the off season to add some fun. If the weather is good on occasion I'll get out there. I can deal with cold- but ice and slippery conditions are good for action shooting. I prefer to stay the hell away from most indoor shooting due to lead concerns so when I can- I'll go outside with the cold.

I shoot all year round. You just have to dress for the cold. Of course its usually a lost match brass because of the snow.

There are IDPA practice sessions all winter in the area as well as the occasional match if the weather permits. The brass is a PITA, but it looks like God made it rain brass when that first spring thaw comes. Glorious! :wub: