Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My gun room

MarkCO

Nice. My gun room is in the 4 bedroom model home we got years ago, I got to choose from the baby room with bear and balloon wall paper

and the room with the bear and balloon wall paper. Garage mostly mine.

As we were looking at the house, I saw the full and empty basement and said: "We are buying it!" My wife saw upstairs and said: "We are taking it!". We have been living in a relative harmony since then... :) But I have to be constantly on alert - she is continuously encroaching with her kitchen supplies, garden tools, second refrigerator, etc.

Edited by Foxbat

Nice. My gun room is in the 4 bedroom model home we got years ago, I got to choose from the baby room with bear and balloon wall paper

and the room with the bear and balloon wall paper. Garage mostly mine.

As we were looking at the house, I saw the full and empty basement and said: "We are buying it!" My wife saw upstairs and said: "We are taking it!". We have been living in a relative harmony since then... :) But I have to be constantly on alert - she is continuously encroaching with her kitchen supplies, garden tools, second refrigerator, etc.

I think it's genetic. And I would love a basement especially in AZ. Lot's O'money dirt is like cement here.

Yep, in the basement. When we built the house, I put in a structural steel floor. So there is a steel grid beneath with wood deck on top. There is a moisture control system in that space, so it maintains right at 30%.

TV is plenty big, bigger and it would be too much as I am only a few feet away when working on the bench.

The wife has to have her own room, and the gun room has a security door with a combination only I know.

Jeez. How much did that cost you? I want to do something like that when I start a family.

The strucutural steel floor was actually a tad less than a concrete slab. The moisture control is code required for that system so it was included. Some extra steel...leaving a case of beer on the porch as I was asking for some more steel. :surprise:

The extra bedroom for the wife was already in the floorplan. Of course I'll have to finish the remainder of the basement "guestroom" friendly, but that might actually save me some $. The security/fire door and lock was about $350 total.

Where did you get the door?

From a local commercial supplier. You could use anything from a garage to residence security/fire door to a full-on safe door. $200 to $4,000. Some of it depends on security, fire rating, etc. that you are after. I think for most people, a standard fire door you can buy locally will be more than enough. Put a quality lockset in it and reinforce the jam.

• 2 weeks later...

The strucutural steel floor was actually a tad less than a concrete slab. The moisture control is code required for that system so it was included. Some extra steel...leaving a case of beer on the porch as I was asking for some more steel. :surprise:

The extra bedroom for the wife was already in the floorplan. Of course I'll have to finish the remainder of the basement "guestroom" friendly, but that might actually save me some $. The security/fire door and lock was about $350 total.

I am buying a house with a full basement and I want finish a gun room/ storm shelter, can you elaborate more on the door you chose. I am looking a "gun safe" type doors that seem to cost $1200 plus. I would be interested in a description, trade name, specification, or any other data from the door and lock so that I can acquire a "better" door but less than a "gun safe quality" door.

Thanks

Finished trim on the bench yesterday. I used 1x2 stained to match the cabinets glued and screwed around the top of the bench. I drilled a bunch of holes in it so all of my punches, some purpose specific tools and dowel rods over which case guages fit can be stored at easy access, but organized.

Ranger, I bought my door locally. A lot of what you choose depends on the surrounding construction. A bomb proof door set in 1/2" drywall is kind of useless.

I'd search locally for a commercial fire/secuirty door manufacturer or distributor and go look at what they have. Go to the local Lowes/HD and look at their entry doors, which are fire rated. Compare and contrast for aesthetics, security and price point. I've specified doors from this company: http://www.etodoors.com/shop for some custom projects I have worked on. Go down to commercial doors, about halfway down. These are good doors, but they have a lot more. Figure $100 or so for shipping. As for combination locksets, search e-bay and Amazon. Look for the features, access control and security level you want. Don't buy a cheap lock. The good ones start at about $100. The feedback has been pretty good on Amazon from my experience with the locksets.

Edited by MarkCO

• 2 months later...