Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Finishes

mikev49

Nope. Virgil hardchromes EVERYTHING but the barrel and trigger bow. I have 2 of them...

On edit... I can't say for sure the link, pin and hammer pin are done, but the ambis, hammer, sear, disco, pins, screws, grip bushings and mag release and mag release cam are all done. The end of the aftec is chromed. The tip is not.

Edited by Seth

Hydrogen embrittlement usually occurs in hardened steel (like bolts.) Most of the steels used in gun parts are of a low enough hardness that HE shouldn't be a problem.

HE rarely occurs when the plating company follows the proper procedures. The world is full of chrome plated fasteners that survive much higher stresses than we put our guns through. Most of the time when a fastener fails due to HE, it can be traced back to a mistake in the hard chrome process.

My guess is that Tripp, AP&W, Metaloy, etc. know what they are doing. The plating shop down the street may not.

Interesting. When I had virgil hardchrome my gun I asked for the slide frame & barrel done, and that's what he did. I can't speak for his builds, but if he's using that S7 sear I could see removing .001 from it and chroming it, as they are known to wear and even break.A hardcore or EGW hard sear wouldn't need to be hardchromed, nor would a disconnector if made with tool steel barstock. Now I just do the frame & slide, sometimes the barrel. Hard chrome isn't needed on anything but the slide & frame.

Since I started shooting IPSC in the old world of the 90s. All my guns are hard chromed. I do remove all the small parts because they don't need hard chrome. I have no jams,no broken parts. I have three Open pistols built by Gans,Innovative Customs Guns,and Bedell. There is many types of finishes which are great beside hard chrome. All my pistols were hard chromed by Metaloy Industries Inc.

Edited by gunracer38

I have two 1911s, both currently in blued finish. I want to get some work done on the gun I shoot for competitions and need/ would like, to get the other refinished beacause i dont shoot it as much anymore and want to prevent it from rusting. I would like to know what everyone considers the best finish for competition and also for storage/ carry if a different finish is recommended. I would have loved to find someone to failzero the second gun but they only sell kits now so Im guessing that is out of the question. thanks

Ask the smith that does your work for you who he would recommend. Most have their preferances.