Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BL -C(2) powder

Gabe Athouse

I'm working on a new .223 load. Somebody at the Dillon showroom recommended BLC-2 powder. I'm using the Dillon powder measurer on my 550 with the large powder bar. I'm trying to drop 25 grains but I can't get it dialed in. It varies by almost a full grain from charge to charge. I ended up getting frustrated and scrapping the BLC2 idea and am back to dropping H4895 which meters real consistent for me.

Any ideas from the more experienced as to what I can do to get a more consistent charge? Is this just how well I can expect the BLC2 to meter?

Thanks for any help.

It meters fantastic out of my Hornady measure. Haven't tried it in my Dillon yet, but something doesn't sound right. It's a ball powder and they usually meter very well. I wonder if it bunching up at the bottom of the measure before dropping into the metering cavity?

Edited by Shadowrider

I was told it would meter well, and I don't know why it wouldn't. My next step is to take one of my other Dillon powder measurers and put a large powder bar in it and see if I can make it work. Maybe that new measurer has a problem, as unlikely as that sounds.

I did follow some other posters advice and polished the inside of my powder bar. I don't really know if it helped as I did it before I ever started loading, but it has never given me any problems, even when loading Varget, which has hung up in other people's powder bar. Maybe doing that would slick things up a little for you.

I did follow some other posters advice and polished the inside of my powder bar. I don't really know if it helped as I did it before I ever started loading, but it has never given me any problems, even when loading Varget, which has hung up in other people's powder bar. Maybe doing that would slick things up a little for you.

You just polish it up with a dremel tool or something similar?

I used a dremel with a polishing stone, then compound on a buffing disc. It worked pretty good, but my powder bar came with a black finish that was pretty slick to start with. This just put the final polish on it. The adjustment bar face was a little rougher. It took a little more care to get very smooth. The scotchbrite pad sounds like a good idea too.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a load with this powder and Lake City brass? I have been using 25.0 grains of BLC2 with SMK 69's and have been happy with them, until the powder fills up the LC brass.

My current load with BLC(2) for 55gr HNY FMJBT is 27.1gr but my old load was 28.1. These didn't come close to filling cases, then again I just picked up everything that shined at a 2-Gun match and loaded it up. I guess no one is shooting LC in these matches or on the range where I shoot.

Anyone have a load with this powder and Lake City brass? I have been using 25.0 grains of BLC2 with SMK 69's and have been happy with them, until the powder fills up the LC brass.

I've reloaded 24.5 gr. under 68's and 27.0 gr. under 55's many times and never had a problem.

Here's a pic with headstamped LC 95, LC 03, and LC 06 brass all with 25.0 gr. of BLC2. They all go up to just under the start of the shoulder. You shouldn't have a problem fitting a 68 gr. bullet over it. If your powder level is going higher than that check your scale and the inside of the cases for obstructions.

cIMG_1253.jpg

You might want to pause on the end of the stroke. Perhaps you not giving enough time for ALL the powder to drop... BLC-2 measures well in every measure I use.

I actually pull and weigh the powder on every 3rd case for the first 30-40 rounds, then random check as I go along. Sessions are normally a 1000 rounds. If I had some under or over I would stop and remedy the issue. Its has happened that a little oil is on the powder measure insert and it will clump and you can get .2-.4gr variance. Completly cleaning the powder measure with Brake parts cleaner clears that up. My Hornady lnl powder measure has been polished to a mirror brite finish inside using a drimal tool, the housing is cast and rough when you get it. I also weigh at the end of reloading the last powder drop. Consistent reloads are no accident, it is about attention to detail. Well I should be sorting head stamps but when you are shooting a CQB Carbine match with the longest shot being 25 yards, it don't take much accuracy, just spray'em.

I also have 4 scales and cross check weights with one electronic and a beam, just to be sure I'm not going to blow myself up.

Edited by CocoBolo