Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moly / BBI residue?

njl

I'm trying out some BBI 130gr 9mm bullets, and after loading just 100 of them last night, my left thumb and first two fingers were pretty well coated in the grey coating BBI puts on the bullets. Is this normal for coated bullets like BBI and Precision Black Bullets?

When I test fired/chrono'd some a few weekends ago, the barrel got pretty dirty...with what I assume was this same coating/residue.

I think next time I load some, I'll wear a nitrile glove on the bullet seating hand.

I'm trying out some BBI 130gr 9mm bullets, and after loading just 100 of them last night, my left thumb and first two fingers were pretty well coated in the grey coating BBI puts on the bullets. Is this normal for coated bullets like BBI and Precision Black Bullets?

When I test fired/chrono'd some a few weekends ago, the barrel got pretty dirty...with what I assume was this same coating/residue.

I think next time I load some, I'll wear a nitrile glove on the bullet seating hand.

FYI I have a box of Bear Creek moly coated .45 ACP SWC's and had the same experience as you with respect to the "dirty fingers" after reloading. I now use a cheap throw away glove on my left hand when loading these bullets, although if I were really cheap, I'd only use 2 finger's worth because it's only my thumb and index finger that gets dirty.

No problems with the barrel however, but I'm only shooting in the 800's with the 1911 and the moly coated bullets seem to be going through pretty cleanly.

If your bore gets really cruddy you can use a mixture of 50% white vinegar and 50% hydrogen peroxide to soak your barrel about 10 minutes, and it will get all the moly crud out with a patch or two. STAINLESS barrels only, and don't oversoak.

I use BBI 147's and my hands get dirty, but nothing like loading lead. My barrels have a little residue in them, but it cleans easily with a dry patch.

Yes, they will get dirty. My fingers where getting dirty when I was loading montana gold's also, but that was lead. Just wash it with soap and water, or use some gojo, and your hands will smell like citrus. Or you can wear a michael jackson glove on your left hand and that will prevent most of it!

If your bore gets really cruddy you can use a mixture of 50% white vinegar and 50% hydrogen peroxide to soak your barrel about 10 minutes, and it will get all the moly crud out with a patch or two. STAINLESS barrels only, and don't oversoak.

I'm shooting Glocks...so the barrels are not stainless. I took my cleaning stuff with me when I tested out the first BBI loads...and cleaned the barrel before and after shooting them. I think all the residue came out pretty easily with a patch and CLP...but there was quite a bit of it after just 20 shots.

I dont think the residue is anything to worry about. i shoot 500 rounds or so before i clean my 1911. its just the moly coating that the barrel strips off, i dont think it can be avoided. it doesnt affect my accuracy either.

I have always loaded with Nit gloves, with anything I load. But yea, the BBI are a little dirty, but it doesn't affect anything as was mentioned. I did two trips and haven't cleaned my M&P yet. Accuracy is excellent with these bullets, I am also shooting the 130gn 9mm BBI's, and I'm pretty happy with them. I'm using Accurate solo 1k powder.