Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions

10sRin

Have decided that I'm going to try and compete in 2011. Want to buy a S&W 625. Now the question. After lurking here for some time most of the members reccomend 4", which is fine. However, I've found a 5" prelock. Would this put me at any advantage or disadvantage over the 4". Have shot forever,(retired LEO) just not competively, so I'm not up on rules. Thx,Joe

Well if you are like most, you will end up with several revolvers eventually. :D The only reason to get a 4" gun is if you intend to compete in IDPA which has a maximum barrel length of 4.2" in revolver divisions. The 5" gun would be a better choice for USPSA competition since there is not a restriction on barrel length but you couldn't use it for IDPA. If you really think that you won't get hooked like the rest of us and will only have one gun, see what kind of matches are most available in your area and get the one most suitable for what you have access to. Welcome to the forums. :cheers:

Edited by Gregg K

You know what they say "Opinions are like....well me." Any advantatges, longer sight radius, Can't use it for IDPA. It depends on what game you are to play. 4 inch allows you play in IDPA and USPSA, ICORE, Steel, etc. 5 inch take you out of IDPA. More of a personal choice on how it feels to handle and shoot. Clear as mud? later rdd

Dang it I am getting slow....Gregg beat me again....

Edited by Bubber

Exactly as Gregg and Bubber stated it. I prefer the 5" for USPSA, and I have both. If for some reason you don't like it down the road, there will a line of buyers for it. The 5" is out of production, hence the demand. Get it and start competing. It's the most fun you have with your pants on.

Have decided that I'm going to try and compete in 2011. Want to buy a S&W 625. Now the question. After lurking here for some time most of the members reccomend 4", which is fine. However, I've found a 5" prelock. Would this put me at any advantage or disadvantage over the 4". Have shot forever,(retired LEO) just not competively, so I'm not up on rules. Thx,Joe

Buyer beware! Not all 625's are created equal...some are more addictive than others. I have a 625 JM and love it, but it took me some tinkering to get running to my liking.

Welcome to revo, get the 5" prelock just because you found one, if you don't like it, I will gladly take it off your hands!!!

I just picked up a fiver the other day just because and am sending it to my gunsmith The Revolver Armorer just as soon as my new sight arrives. He's a local guy in VA and I like keeping good guys in business. That being said, Mike Carmoney is a great guy from the forums who is highly recommended and has been very helpful and supportive in my personal tinkering efforts.

Basically if you can find a decent specimen that runs jump on it. Find a good smith ahead of time because no doubt you will end up shooting the daylights out it. I never shot any one gun with any frequency or dedication until I got the revolver bug. Welcome and enjoy.

Forrest

Well if you are like most, you will end up with several revolvers eventually. :D The only reason to get a 4" gun is if you intend to compete in IDPA which has a maximum barrel length of 4.2" in revolver divisions. The 5" gun would be a better choice for USPSA competition since there is not a restriction on barrel length but you couldn't use it for IDPA. If you really think that you won't get hooked like the rest of us and will only have one gun, see what kind of matches are most available in your area and get the one most suitable for what you have access to. Welcome to the forums. :cheers:

Your mention of this caused me to check the rule book, because I remembered seeing a barrel length restriction. I did find a restriction for revolvers of 8.5", but only if you are using it in production division. That seems odd to me that they would restrict the barrel length or a revolver used in production division, but not in revolver division. :blink:

Not that I am complaining, but I just cannot figure why they did it. :huh:

Edited by Blueridge

It's because we were allowed to write our own rules for Revolver Division this last time around. We got rid of a number of silly restrictions, including a prohibition on rounded and narrowed triggers (a prohibition that was rarely, if ever, enforced anyway). We did reach a strong consensus to limit it to 6 shots between reloads and no porting/comps. Otherwise, you can pretty much shoot any Revo you want.

To address an issue that was brought up earlier--it is true that not all 625s are created equal. The 5" guns are great for USPSA competition, but you'll be better off avoiding the 625-2 Model of 1988s. They can be made into good shooters, but believe me, they take plenty of extra work. Otherwise, look for a good deal on a 625-3 through 625-8 and go for it!