Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cz 75 ts extractor specs

redbird1976

Does anyone know what the allowable amount of wear for the extractor on the ts is? I've had four failure to extracts in the last week. Two of them were at the Gator Classic this past weekend. I pulled the mag it happened with and made a trip to walmart for some factory ammo just in case my handloads were out of spec in some fashion. I made it through the rest of the match, but I'm concerned that the problem may pop up at random. If anybody knows the specs, let me know.

did the hook slip off the rim of the brass?

Yeah, I think so. The spent round was left in the chamber and the slide pinned the fresh round on the feed ramp. It did it a couple of times last week while I was using some cast bullets so I just dismissed it. Saturday it did it on the last two stages I shot at the Gator Classic. I think my round count is around 6,000. Certainly not as many as I would think would wear it out. I pulled the extractor and compared it to the spare that came with gun. I couldn't visibly discern any difference. Nothing was chipped or looked excessively worn on the old one. I put it back and ran factory ammo Sunday with no more problems; so I'm stumped at the moment.

i assume that you removed the extractor and cleaned out all possible gunk, yes?

there are a few things that can be done to correct it if all is clean and sparkly... when i have this problem, i may use a file to put a slight angle on the hook for a more positive grab. i also cut a slight amount off the inside of the hook so it grabs more of the rim, if that makes sense. i will also use a stronger extractor spring if needed.

steps i may do would be

1 make sure it's clean

2 replace the extractor spring with a new one if you say the current extractor is visually the same OR

3 do the work mentioned above to improve the extractor

check the cz forums for more info on the extractor as well

Had the same thing happen a few times to me. Bought the increased power springs from Wolff, but they looked to long to me. Found a thread that talked about putting a small screw behind the spring on CZforums. That has worked perfect for the last 3,000 rounds. Did use the new spring on a CZ 40B and that also worked. Good luck!

Extra power spring is too long, it gets fully compressed on installation leaving no room to compress more and let extractor to pivit. It has to be trimmed, I think 2 or 3 coils need to go, I forget how many I cut off on mine when replaced one on my Shadow.

Ok guys thanks for the input. I think I'll replace the extractor spring. I've had the gun about a year so it's about time to replace springs anyhow. When I took the gun apart Sunday the extractor was clean relatively speaking. Where can I get the wolff springs? Also, what poundage are ya'll running on the recoil springs. I'm shooting about a 175 pf.

just for curiosity's sake, put a dummy no primer no powder round in there and put it in battery. then nudge the slide back a bit and check to see how much of the extractor is actually going around the brass. might be a proactive thing to look at aside from also replacing the extractor spring.

As said..

check the extractor for damage, check it for tension, also if the malfunction persists.

check what brass it is.

just a story.

I was doing a CZ compact for a shooter that was doing pretty much the same thing, but more persistent.

I did all the above, retuned the gun, still same problem. So I pulled some of my ammo and had no problems..when back to his ammo and problems again. so I started sorting his brass..had three different makers in it. came down to one brand of brass that all the malfunctions happened with.

miked all the brass..that maker was consistently a smaller rim diameter.

As said..

check the extractor for damage, check it for tension, also if the malfunction persists.

check what brass it is.

just a story.

I was doing a CZ compact for a shooter that was doing pretty much the same thing, but more persistent.

I did all the above, retuned the gun, still same problem. So I pulled some of my ammo and had no problems..when back to his ammo and problems again. so I started sorting his brass..had three different makers in it. came down to one brand of brass that all the malfunctions happened with.

Do you remember which brand was giving him problems? I got a load of brass the other day that had a bunch of foreign stuff in it.

As said..

check what brass it is.

just a story.

Do you remember which brand was giving him problems? I got a load of brass the other day that had a bunch of foreign stuff in it.

surprisingly it was Remington brass.

• 2 weeks later...

surprisingly it was Remington brass.

Interesting, I would have guessed Winchester - at least if the gun was in 9mm. All of my feed and extraction failures with my 9mm loads in CZ have been with reloaded Winchester brass.

(In .40, I haven't noticed any brass giving me trouble.)