Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

another open glock

dskinsler83

ok guys i am gonna be starting my open glock project after december. i am kinda nerveous and excited too lol.. i am looking for you open glock shooters with load info and rig pics. help a new to open shooter out. i am hearing alot about auto comp from winchester and hs6. are all of you using small pistol primers? small rifle primers? small pistol magnum? holster types? dot types? mag extenders? i need info and tips on it all... i know some will be trial and error but all help will be appreciated. thanks ahead of time

Gen3 G17

My trigger using Vanek parts.

Lone Wolf Barrel, Jager Comp and 13# captured steel recoil assembly.

Springer Precision mounted 7 MOA Docter optic

Newer OEM Glock G17 mags with smoothed up #6 followers and 170mm Taylor Freelance extensions (28+1)

EDITED TO ADD: Dawson Ice Magwell. Holster CR Speed WSM 2 and their Versa Pouches.

124 MG JHP load, 8.1 grains HS-6 @ 1.152 OAL and Federal SPP.

The ugly was a free bonus. Runs real good.

DSC00643.jpg

cheers.gif

Jim

Edited by Jman

Here is my G35 3Gen Open

Glockworx trigger

Lone Wolfe Slide and Barrel

13 lbs ISMI spring & Captured guide rod

Jager Comp

SJC Slide Rack

SJC Micro Dot Mount

Docter Dot 7 min

Grip done by me

155 Berrys FP, 7.8 grn HS-6 1.120 OAL

171 PF 1110 ft/sec

Target shot @ 50 ft

Gun runs great!

Also a pic of my G34 Open

post-23900-066395200 1288745937_thumb.jp

post-23900-019469000 1288745950_thumb.jp

post-23900-006820000 1288746129_thumb.jp

Looking good guys keep em coming love the pics...Jim u got any pics of ur full set up with holster and all I'm lookin at cr speeds purpose made glock rig will it work for an open gun with comp???

I have some time in the AM I'll try getting them posted.

Jim

Jman I hear alot of people putting the crspeed holsters down.

....really?

Honestly I have not seen these. The WSM 2 has been used by thousands worldwide for many

years and with more than a little success. Too, I got mine used at a fantastic price from a forum

member about 4 years ago. He has since asked to buy it back. devil.gif...sorry, no sale.

If I were in the market today I would take a very close look at the Race Master. (see below) I will stay with the

CR until the RM has been wrung out completely during next year or so. The RM "appears" to have

easier adjustments than the CR and that's a big plus.

Jim

post-1015-032596200 1288884574_thumb.jpg

ok guys i am gonna be starting my open glock project after december. i am kinda nerveous and excited too lol.. i am looking for you open glock shooters with load info and rig pics. help a new to open shooter out. i am hearing alot about auto comp from winchester and hs6. are all of you using small pistol primers? small rifle primers? small pistol magnum? holster types? dot types? mag extenders? i need info and tips on it all... i know some will be trial and error but all help will be appreciated. thanks ahead of time

LOAD DATA: (use at your own risk)

7.0 grs WW AUTO COMP

WW OR R-P BRASS

FED. SM. RIFLE PRIMERS (SEATED BELOW FLUSH IN PRIMER POCKETS)

1.145 O.A.L.

.377 CRIMP

124 GR JHP/MONTANA GOLD

EQUIPMENT:

KKM GUNSMITH FIT BARREL

GHOST HOLSTER

COMP TAC MAG POUCHES

TAYLOR FREELANCE 170mm mag ext. (29+1 rds.)

TAYLOR FREELANCE 140mm BRASS MAG ext. (5.5 ozs.) SUPER HEAVY

TUNGSTEN GUIDE ROD

11 or 12 LB. RECOIL SPRING

SJC BRASS MAG WELL (8.0 ozs.) SUPER HEAVY

CASPIAN SLIDE W/LOWERED EJECT PORT (SLIDE HAS TO BE FITTED) IF YOU USE A STOCK 17 SLIDE NO FITTING REQUIRED

HI CUT UNDER TRIGGER GUARD

11 PORT SJC COMP (mine has 7 minus 4 side ports) but basically the same comp

MY OWN TRIGGER JOB (2lbs.)

SJC SLIDE RACKER

C MORE 8 MIN. DOT

GORRILA GRIP OR TRU GRIP TAPE

GHOST EXT. MAG RELEASE

I USE GUN FOR USPSA MAJOR 9/STEEL CHALLENGE AND KNOCKDOWN PSA STYLE STEEL MATCHES

WITH A REDUCED LOAD OF 6.1 grs. OF AUTO COMP SAME BULLET FOR STEEL MATCHES.

Edited by sweetback

I built this gun to get into open on a budget a few years ago. It was OK.

I did run it on a gen 3 frame mostly. When I took this picture It was a dedicated steel gun.

If I had to do it again, I would have just bought a used S_I.

KKM barrel

Novak comp

J-point sight

Dawson magwell

Taylor freelance mag ext.

I used a kydex holster, Made B with this set up.

post-3572-028719100 1288891670_thumb.jpg

post-3572-045768700 1288891724_thumb.jpg

post-3572-000261100 1288891786_thumb.jpg

So what was wrong with a glock for open???? I hve seen alot of post on here of people doing it successfully...I'm always on a budget and I shoot my G34 in production very well so why change the muscle memory I hve in my grip for the G3 frame and trigger control I hve developed just to shoot an S_I type gun...they are very nice don't get me wrong but over priced IMHO...if I did S_I it be bought a piece at a time and I'd attempt to assemble it...with flock I can do all the work myself

So what was wrong with a glock for open???? I have seen alot of post on here of people doing it successfully...I'm always on a budget and I shoot my G34 in production very well so why change the muscle memory I have in my grip for the G3 frame and trigger control I have developed just to shoot an S_I type gun...they are very nice don't get me wrong but over priced IMHO...if I did S_I it be bought a piece at a time and I'd attempt to assemble it...with flock I can do all the work myself

Dude I was standing in your shoes a few years ago. Nothing but Glock for me. I shot production for a few years and won my class (B) at a couple of section matches. I thought I would never shoot anything else. No reason too.

My new wife (at that time) wanted to shoot and just couldn't shoot a glock well. She wanted a single action trigger and I bought her an STI edge an SV open gun.

She never wanted to shoot the open gun. I bought it used for a great price.

I had hand surgery in 08. I decided to try the open gun during my recovery.

I've not shot a glock since. For me it was like the person who doesn't know they need glasses. Once I put the glasses on I'm not taking them off:cheers:

Everyone is different and has there on path. I wasted a lot of time and money building a glock open gun. That is purely hindsight for me.

Good luck on your journey:cheers:

• 2 months later...

Good post, I will build a Gen 4 Glock 17 for my son, I don't want to break the bank,

I haver one question though, I see C-more sights mounted fixed to the slide and fixed to the frame, is there a reason to go one way or the other?

I can see where the sight will add weight to the slide, and I can see where the frame mounted sight could give you a longer sight picture.

any pros or cons?

Good post, I will build a Gen 4 Glock 17 for my son, I don't want to break the bank,

I haver one question though, I see C-more sights mounted fixed to the slide and fixed to the frame, is there a reason to go one way or the other?

I can see where the sight will add weight to the slide, and I can see where the frame mounted sight could give you a longer sight picture.

any pros or cons?

I think you used the "C-more" in a generic way? ...to mean a red-dot sight?

The C-more is a specific brand. It is almost always on a mount, attached to the frame. It offers the best viewing area of most any of the current red-dot sights in use.

One possible issue with the C-more brand is that it is a long overall length. This means that it is often mounted over top the ejection area...which can lead to jams, as the spent brass tries to exit the gun.

The smaller red dot sights can circumvent the ejection issue by being mounted on the slide. Down sides there are that they are moving as the slide recoils. Which makes them harder to see during the shooting...and they offer a smaller viewing area to start with, as well. Plus, riding the slide, they take more abuse.

If you keep your Open Glock as close to a Glock as possible they work as good as ANY Open gun given good ammo.

The trick is to avoid making it into something that it is not.

Jim

This my OG setup as of now:

utf-8BSU1BRzEwNjYuanBn.jpg

Given the ginormous comp and added weight of the slide ride plus groove adaptor, it has been sprung down to 11lb minus 6 coils in order for it to cycle properly -- which doesn't lend itself to consistent feeding all the time. It's only jammed on me once during a competition, but also isn't the absolute best setup. The SJC micro red dot mount is tempting to get that weight off the slide, as is having the slide coffin cut for it.

This my OG setup as of now:

Given the ginormous comp and added weight of the slide ride plus groove adaptor, it has been sprung down to 11lb minus 6 coils in order for it to cycle properly -- which doesn't lend itself to consistent feeding all the time. It's only jammed on me once during a competition, but also isn't the absolute best setup. The SJC micro red dot mount is tempting to get that weight off the slide, as is having the slide coffin cut for it.

What is the load your using? Meaning minor or major?

Jim