Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage Strategy

See what youall think of this stage:

4 IPSC targets...

T1 is 15yds from shooting box, offset to the left.  

T2 is 25yds, just off centerline on left.  

T3 is 25 yds, just off centerline to right.  

T4 is 15yds offset to right.  

Timed Fire / Best 6 paper / Time per string: 4.5 secs.

On audible start signal:

String 1: Engage T1 with six rounds weak hand.

String 2: Engage T2 with six rounds freestyle.

String 3: Engage T3 with 3 rounds, reload, 3 rounds.

String 4: Engage T4 with 6 rounds strong hand.

On a stage such as described above, what strategies would youall suggest.  I shot this last weekend at Area4 and there were some pretty interesting scores from all levels of shooters.

Wayne

umpf...Wayne, there was no leeway for any *strategy*, all was dictated! Really the only thing to decide was whether you'd even attempt the reload on string 3 (3 A's are better than 6 D's...), with a time limit of 4.5 an easy decision for me. And then, of course, you  need to know how many hits you can get on the other strings in 4.5 sec because you don't want to fire shots without hitting. For me that was 5 shots weak hand and 6 shots free style and strong hand.

All that said, I was terribly afraid of the stage, trembled like a dying tree in the wind and completely screwed up the stage. In spite of running a mile 90 min before starting, as TT suggested...

But *strategy*? There wasn't any...

--Detlef

If you shoot all A's, but only get off five shoots, that is 25 points.

If you get off all six shoots, but manage to only hit C's then that is (major) 24 points.

Chances are that you could get a couple of A's in there too, right?

So, wouldn't you want to go for getting all the shots you can into at least the C zone?

Hit A's, If you can't make the times, just go for A's and let the points stack up. You don't want to bite any penalties trying to get that 6th shot off. Actually it sounds like a good practice drill. Don't be intimidated, too many shooters think they have to get all 6 off inside the time, but the time was set to make M's and GM's push the limit of making hits inside the time (if they make the time too lax all the A's, M's, and GM's would have the same score making it a non-stage). Just shoot what you can at a comfortable pace. This is where practice with a timer helps. You want to know before you even load and make ready for a stage like that, how fast you can shoot 6 shots at that distance (strong and weak hand too), or how many you can put in the A zone in that time. Then you will have the confidence to just go and shoot the stage to the best of your ability.

Pat  

Something similiar is CM99-14 Hoser Heaven.

cm99-14.gif

It's easy to shoot all 6 shots freestyle, but strong hand and weak hand, it's best to go after T1, T3, and T5 with good A hits and if you have time go back for the other ones.

(Edited by Scooter at 1:59 pm on June 5, 2001)

• 5 years later...
Hoser Heaven...

GRRRRRRR!!

You can say that again!

I'm a new shooter (unclassified) and my local Match Director (I won't mention no names ;) ) saw fit to introduce me to this course recently ( It must be pretty popular!).

I feel very fortunate to have scored in the black (positive), several shooters were running negative scores until the scoring rules returned there score to zero.

Reading this post has been helpful. The strategy that Scooter offers is something to think about. That must be (might be) why they score it at the end of each string, so a shooter don't try to stack all his shots on the easy targets.

Any body know where a 27pf (my humble score for this stage) would place a guy for classification? Just curious. I shoot revolver if that makes a difference.

Old but good info, thanks.

41mag

Isn't this Baseball Standards CM 03-14?

That just doesn't look like fun :o

If you shoot production you ALWAYS shoot for points.

At last that's what the faster guys tell me :D

I stray sometimes and find myself going for speed... As the wise Kung Fu master says " You lack discipline! "