Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli 20 Ga

Shooter Grrl

Hey y'all. I'm back to looking at shotguns - again! I've narrowed it down to either a Rem 1100 20ga YOUTH model or the Benelli MI Field 20 ga YOUTH model. (NEed the shorter stock, can't reach the trigger without it being a youth model - DOH!)

So anyways, I've searched the forums and found answers for all the accessories for the Rem, but didn't find much for the Benelli. Has anybody tried to use the Benelli 20ga Youth in 3-gun? Where can I get the usual stuff, mag extensions, shell holders, speed loaders, "mag well"?

Kath-

You might want to stick with the Rem Youth model. Easy to accessorize, with Choate Machine making an extension tube, and pretty much most of the small parts are interchangable with a 1100 12 ga. And of course, a gas gun is softer shooting. Or, you could go with the Browning Gold 20 ga light weight model. :ph34r:

Well I can tell you the price alone was leading me towards the Rem! Holy crap those Benelli's are expensive <_<

But I'm also a firm believer in getting what I pay for.... AND I like the lightweight of the Benelli. I was actually surprised at the accessories available for the Rem, but not the Benelli.

Thanks for the thoughts AH.

Edit: Browning... haven't seen one yet - they are not very popular around here in 20 ga.

We bought a 20ga Rem 1100 Lt Youth MDL for Debi 2 years ago. It is a nice shotgun. However, it is not well suited for IPSC 3-Gun IMO. The receiver is NOT the same size as a full size 1100. The longest mag tube I have been able to find is from Choate and it will only hold 7 rounds. That means 8 in the gun. You must have 9 to be competitive. The Easy Loader is not going to fit and thats another must have. You might be able to have a tube and a Easy Loader custom built by DMW or someone. If you can find a 8 round tube and a Easy Loader for a Remmy 1100 Youth MDL, please let me know. I feel like I have searched to the end of the Internet looking.

I think a better 20ga Remmy option is a full size MDL with a Choate Conventional Mark 5 Stock. The Youth MDL 1100 has a 13" LOP. The MK 5 stock has shims so the LOP can be adjusted from 13" to 14". The receiver and the mag tube are the same size as the 12ga 1100 so all the must haves will fit.

I don't know anything about the Benelli youth MDL but I have seen a 20ga Benelli ??? MDL set up good. The LOP might be an issue though?

If you are still interested in a 1100 Youth MDL, I have a deal for you. :)

Kath, get in touch with Kay Clark Miculek, she has been shooting a 20 ga remmy for years. Clarks does a mod on the loading gate that works better than the easy loader, they weld a strap on the release button that just plane works. I shot one of these for a while and really liked it. The best load seems to be rem. heavy dove loads. These are 2 1/2 dram with 1 oz of 6s and just murder poppers with a mod choke and their 5/8 oz slug is the real reduced recoil deal, sweet. Only problem is stages that require buck shot, all I could ever find was rem. #3s. I would really look at a browning and a benelli but a remmy that is set up right is a pretty sweet deal. I had to weld up a tube but now the little gun holds 9+1. Go with the LT or the youth mod, the big guns are just too heavy and have some parts problems. Mine was a pawn shop dog that had to have a mag cut off put in but other than a o ring and a quart of oil now and then it has been one ot most reliable guns I ever owned. Larry

AH6IP:

Could you make a 20ga tube for a Benelli out of delrin?? pitch is 13 flat thread. By the way when did they start arming Bell Jet Rangers??

Lkytx:

Are you making the haul to Mesa with Mr Modest?? I would dearly love to shoot that Remmy some time. Maybe you guys can make it to the Oklahoma State 3-gun, or I'll get back to the Coastal bend deal.KURTM

Kurt, wont make the Az trip but will be at the nats and the tx 3gun, we have been thinking about OK match and Ark. 20 ga is retired and taking up space in the closet, Im shooting a Turkish 12 now, seems to be a good gun, have to see if it lives. We should try to get togeter and make a match somewhere soon, maybe Austin and we will be haveing our trophy match later this year, Benny is still wimpering over you whoopin him at home. Larry

Kath, get in touch with Kay Clark Miculek, she has been shooting a 20 ga remmy for years.

I contacted Clark's. No help on the mag tube.

Clarks does a mod on the loading gate that works better than the easy loader, they weld a strap on the release button that just plane works.

Now that sounds interesting..... They did not tell me that either. In their defense, I did not ask.

I had to weld up a tube but now the little gun holds 9+1

Can you weld me up one? What size tube did use? Did you bore out the stock cap and weld the tube to it?

Hey Kathy,

If the reason for going to a 20 gauge is recoil management, then the Remington is the one you want. Have you shot both of these yet?

The Benelli may be lighter, but because it's recoil operated, it's gonna kick more than the gas breather in any gauge. That, the accessory availability thing, and the fact that Remington is supporting our area of the shooting sports and Benelli is not, makes the right path here kind of obvious to me.

--

Regards,

Singlestack, contact Benny Hill for that stuff. The tube is made from 2 choat tubes, just cut one and stack the 2nd one on top and tack in 3 places. Boreing the cap is a good idea if you have a tube the right dia. Make sure you have a steel cap, some of the newer ones are alum. The barrel on the youth mod may be too short to get a nine rd tube and still have a tube only one inch longer but 8 should be doable. Good luck. Larry

Can I just point out that while it may not be totally relevant in this particular case the new IPSC SG rules, which are about to be adopted by the USPSA with minimal changes, declare a minimum PF of 520.

Cartridges are available for the 20 gauge which make factor but it almost certainly reduces choice.

For calibration purposes this is the PF that is to be used and is written up as 520 or just under.

A couple of people have tried 20 gauge over here in the UK but none have gone that way for matches.

We have 6 really active ladies shooting the comp circuit and all have gone for 12 gauge. Helen is 5 feet nothing and I would guess 5/6 are in the range of 120 - 140 lbs.

They all shoot 1187s because of the softer recoil. If they wanted to change anything it would be to reduce the weight but they still are up there on the longer field stages of up to 28 rounds.

Wow you guys know your shotguns!

AH my email address is littmans_nospam@charter.net (remove the _nospam) I'm in SW TN - about 100 miles east of memphis.

Geoff - it's not so much recoil management as total overall weight of the gun. I can take the punishing recoil OR I can take carting around alot of weight, but both together kick my pretty lil butt :) Then there is that short arms problem...

SS - let's talk about that deal!